Is it s selfish to not want to give up work?

Sharon W

Mar 29, 2024
I live with my Dad however work full time (due to traveling time I would be unable to come home for lunch) and he is being tested but they are pretty sure what it is. I live at home with him on my own, I work full time however have family around 2 hours away. I really enjoy my work and don’t want to give up. I cared for my Mum with my Dad and took so much out of me. Im not sure if I can do this on my own and what happens when the time comes, I have 20 years to work. Is it selfish of me not wanting to care and for my family to take care when it is needed? They have suggested it but just feel like I will be letting him down.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
No it's not selfish to want to continue to work. In fact I'd go further and say it would be foolish to do so

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Sharon W You should not give up work. It will adversely affect your long term career and more importantly, reduce the pension you will receive a retirement. You do not know how long caring could last and many youngre carers find it difficult getting back into work afterwards.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
You’re not being selfish and I think giving up work is a really bad idea. As well as the impact on your finances work also provides you with structure and social contact. Carers often find themselves extremely isolated and alone.

Mirielle

Dec 6, 2023
in work and use some of your income to buy in care. Your ability to care will be much enhanced by remaining your own person and sense of worth. It is hard being with the loved one all day and every day. Finding other interests and then having to explain why you need to go out and preserve your own welbeing is difficult. My OH is only in the mild stages and does not attempt to restrict my movements but I feel worried when I leave him. Having a job will make it easier to leave each day. The effect on your pension is very important. After diagnosis apply for Attendance Allowance. Get your GP to support this. My OH takes Donepezil and Memantine which have helped him trememdously. Your father is fortunate to have a daughter like you.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
No, it's not selfish. If would be foolish to give up work at your age. It might be different if you were only a year or two off retirement.

If you haven't applied* for Attendance Allowance and the Council Tax discount then do so. Use that money to pay for someone to come in in the middle of the day. You could also consider day care. You should not be using your own money to pay for care / day care / sitting services for your Dad. If he hasn't much by way of assets then the local authority will cover some or all of the costs.

*it may be more difficult to get these before a diagnosis.