hi my name is carole and my husband is suffering with alzheimers

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello Carole @anne1950 and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read about your husband. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease; I do feel for you.
There is a lot of shared experience of dementia here and members really do want to help. If you need it, you will find sound advice, good suggestions, and most importantly, total understanding here.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Hello Helen.
Perhaps you might share a bit more. Do you both live in rented properties? Do you live alone ? What do the rest of the family think?
Does anyone have POA?

jen O

May 6, 2024
Hi
My mum has dementia and I feel we are being failed by the medical profession and the experts.

jen O

May 6, 2024
Join the club carol. Been there. Medical profession do t know what to do so basically will ask you what you want them to do.

jen O

May 6, 2024
Get the matron / district nurse on boatd and Dr on board. Look at local help services and keep positive. Don't be isolated xxxx

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Helio to our new members. .
Our Memory clinic did the testing/ scans and diagnosed and then we were referred back to the GP for care. . the care amounts to treating any difficult dementia symptoms or general medical treatment of ongoing health problems. Not much else I'm afraid.

I'd advise you to look for local dementia groups,coffee clubs,singing groups,games or craft sessions. It may not be what you would have chosen for your social life but these groups have been a lifeline for me. You meet and make friends with others in a similar situation, can get advice and support each other. You can have a laugh and the volunteers will take the strain a bit with your person with dementia (pwd) I'm a big fan of them. Please give them a try. You'll be made welcome.

LoiM

Apr 23, 2024
Helio to our new members. .
Our Memory clinic did the testing/ scans and diagnosed and then we were referred back to the GP for care. . the care amounts to treating any difficult dementia symptoms or general medical treatment of ongoing health problems. Not much else I'm afraid.

I'd advise you to look for local dementia groups,coffee clubs,singing groups,games or craft sessions. It may not be what you would have chosen for your social life but these groups have been a lifeline for me. You meet and make friends with others in a similar situation, can get advice and support each other. You can have a laugh and the volunteers will take the strain a bit with your person with dementia (pwd) I'm a big fan of them. Please give them a try. You'll be made welcome.
Thanks Maggie. Great advice 🤗

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathleen Dickson