Help needed to understand dols.

Liberty and Tiesha

Apr 25, 2024
How would a deprivation of liberty safeguards help my parents in their own home?

My dad has late stage Alzheimer's and my mum has early to mid stage. They live alone but my brother stays their just at night.

They both have a care package. 4 visits for my dad and 3 for my mum because of her frailty.

My mum only recently got diagnosed with the Alzheimer's.

They are 88 and 89 yrs old. They have 6 cats that they both get lots of comfort from. My mum is constantly fussing over them and treats them like her babys. She wants to care for them and is obsessed with feeding them.

When she has stayed in hospital she does not settle worrying about them.

Before their illness they always said they hated the idea of going into care and want to stay in their own home where they've lived for 40yrs.

I have put so much in place for them. Cleaners 6 hrs per week, both care packages constantly reviewed to get them the best help but out of 4 carers only 2 of them give them their all. The other 2 prepare food, do the dishes and just chat. My dad gets most of the care because he rarely refuses help.

My mum is forgetting to wear her incontinence pads and on several occasions I've visited I've found her lying in a wet bed so I asked for a review of her care package.

When the social worker visited she said during our conversation that she might put a dols on my mum.
After she questioned my mum she decided she has slight capacity and didn't apply it.

I regret that I didn't ask her to elaborate but she seemed to get irritated by the slightest interruption. I was putting shopping a way and rustled the paper bags and she huffed and puffed and asked me to stop then the memory nurses popped in for my dad and introduced themselves which appeared to upset her and she asked me to close the door on them and then she started intensely quizzing me about the cctv. The LA already had my parents consent but she said she would have to pass it by the court of protections so by then she left me feeling a bit frazzled.

If a dols was put on mum while my dad having little to zero mental capacity would this mean they would be forced into care and if so why, if they have so much put in place to meet their needs at home?

I do all of their shopping.
We have cctv.
Lifeline falls bands and door censors.
Cleaner does 2 x 3hr cleans including throwing expired food out.
Carers drop in 4 times per day up until 7.30pm and my brother sleeps over from 9pm until 9am
I visit between 2 and 4 days per week to drop food off and sometimes make them a meal and make sure everything is running smoothly.

I asked for the review because of my mums new Alzheimer's diagnosis as I've been asking the carers to check my mums bed is clean and dry and while this is on their pass they don't always do it. I also ask them to check incase she is wet and make sure she's wearing a pad but they say they can't force it. Sometimes she smells of urine. My mum was very hygienic before she became unwell.
I think its inhumane for someone to be left in a wet bed.
The social worker said she will ask again for the bed to be checked but they cannot force anything on my mum.

I'm unsure where we stand with all of this but I also don't think its in my parents best interests just yet to put them into care because they are so comfortable other than my mum and the wet bed issue. I don't think either of them would cope outside of their usual environment.

Can they force them into care if they put a dols on them if they are eventually deemed as having no mental capacity and can I dispute it with being their attorney?
Can I apply for Continuing healthcare for a live in carer if social services ever decide they are not safe at home due to a lack of mental capacity?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Ok this sounds like a very stressful situation for all of you and it is also quite complex , so my first bit of advice would be to call the help line to get some clear guidance.
If your mum still has capacity as the sw has suggested then she can not be placed under a DoLS , that is a given. However this capacity question also means that no one can make her keep clean or have her bed changed, just like I can’t come into your house and insist you have a shower.
This link sets out the whys and wherefores and may answer some of your questions about your role as LPA and how this may be overridden by the court of protection if it comes to that.