Hello

@ClareW44

Apr 23, 2024
Hi
I am 43 years old & live with My Parents (due to health reasons) who are 73 & 76. My Dad is 76 years old & In Sept 2023 he was diagnosed as having Borderline Dementia.
Since then he's gradually getting worse. He's verbally abusive towards me (i have a history of mental health so this isnt helping me), has minor falls, poor memory & other things. Our GP is doing a referral for another Memory Test. We think he has Vascular Dementia due to having COPD. I can't cope & don't know how I'm going to cope

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @@ClareW44 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am so sorry to read that you are finding it difficult to cope with your dad being so verbally abusive to you. I think that it might be an idea for you to contact your GP and explain to them how this is affecting you.
Regarding caring for your dad you are not responsible for him, it might be an idea to get into contact with your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your your dad and a carers assessment for your mum and yourself.

@ClareW44

Apr 23, 2024
Hello @@ClareW44 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am so sorry to read that you are finding it difficult to cope with your dad being so verbally abusive to you. I think that it might be an idea for you to contact your GP and explain to them how this is affecting you.
Regarding caring for your dad you are not responsible for him, it might be an idea to get into contact with your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your your dad and a carers assessment for your mum and yourself.
Hi
Thanks for your reply. Our GP phoned yesterday & He has prescribed Blood Pressure Medication for My Dad & has sent a referral for a 2nd Memory Test (1st was 11th Sept 2023).
I will also look into contacting relevant Authorities regarding assessments too.