Hello

Hartwick

Jan 18, 2024
Hello my name is Alison didn't think I would be joining a Dementia forum but it helps to know other people know what we are going through. It has all happened so quickly mum has vascular dementia been in her new home for a few weeks which is wonderful but mum has literally not been sleeping at all for weeks now at night but has now had her medication reviewed and is to commence on promethazine along with her trazodone. Has anyone else experienced this? If she could just get some sleep at night.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello Alison @Hartwick welcome to the forum.

Not sleeping at night is quite common with dementia. Both my mum and dad went through this which is why they ended up in care. They spent a lot of time sleeping in the daytime and trying to keep them awake so they’d sleep at night didn’t work!

Is this what your mum is like?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Hartwick and welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read of your Mum's situation, although hopefully it is some comfort that the home that she is in is wonderful.
You will certainly find understanding and sound advice here. I don't have any direct experience of the sleeping issue you mention, but just wanted to say hi and please do use the forum for sound advice and suggestions. Members here really do want to help.

Hartwick

Jan 18, 2024

Not sleeping at night is quite common with dementia. Both my mum and dad went through this which is why they ended up in care. They spent a lot of time sleeping in the daytime and trying to keep them awake so they’d sleep at night didn’t work!

Hi mum just cat naps during the day and is up and awake all night I can’t believe she is still going we are hoping the trazodone & promethazine will help. It’s all been so overwhelming.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If your mum has just recently moved she will still be rather confused and it will take time for her to learn the layout and routine of her new home. I expect that it is this confusion that has disrupted her sleep pattern. She may well improve as settles

Hartwick

Jan 18, 2024
If your mum has just recently moved she will still be rather confused and it will take time for her to learn the layout and routine of her new home. I expect that it is this confusion that has disrupted her sleep pattern. She may well improve as settles
Thankyou I hope so it’s like watching them disappear bit by bit