Hello. I'm new here & looking for advice on getting deputyship for my father

sskas4

Apr 23, 2024
Hi
My father is now in a residential care home due to quick onset dementia. He lived alone and ended up in hospital with delirium. He was then moved to an assessment unit and they diagnosed unspecified dementia.
He was moved to residential care which is fully funded. However, he rented his property and received benefits which someone needs to take care of as well as his bank account to cancel direct debits etc.
I'm his next of kin/nearest relative and I'm trying to get deputyship as he had no LPA in place. I can't seem to get anyone (medical professional etc) to sign the paperwork to say he's not mentally competent. The hospital said it was the social worker, the social worker said it has to be the GP and the GP say it should be the care home.
Can anyone help please? I feel like this is never going to happen. There is no dispute between the family about me doing it but it all needs to be official

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
I wish I could offer you some advice, but I ran into the same problem with my Granny. Her GP refused to carry out the assessment, just telling us that the surgery was “too busy for private work” and that was the end of it. I went round in circles to solicitors, private GPs and Social Services for weeks, but everyone I asked pointed me back to Granny’s GP.

sskas4

Apr 23, 2024
I wish I could offer you some advice, but I ran into the same problem with my Granny. Her GP refused to carry out the assessment, just telling us that the surgery was “too busy for private work” and that was the end of it. I went round in circles to solicitors, private GPs and Social Services for weeks, but everyone I asked pointed me back to Granny’s GP.
Did you eventually manage to get this sorts with your Granny's GP?

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Sadly not. It was a dead end and there was no way round it for the CoP application.

Our main concern was that Granny’s care home fees increased, but she’d lost capacity and couldn’t increase the standing order which paid it. We agreed with the care home company that they would allow the arrears to build, and put them in touch with Granny’s solicitors. They put a note on Granny’s file that the care home were owed money from her estate when she passed on.

So we had to wait until Granny died in order to resolve the situation. Thankfully Granny was oblivious throughout,

mhw

Apr 4, 2024
You can pay a private psychiatrist to fill out the COP3 form for the deputyship order or you can ask social services for a copy of the deprivation of liberty order ( dols) they have to by law apply for to keep your relative in a home within 28 days of them being admitted.

ladyboxer

Nov 12, 2023
Hi, I have filled in the forms sent to me when I applied for deputy guardianship for my husband, I asked a cpn to check the forms with me, unfortunately they have been returned saying I’ve missed out cop 1b and another one but I don’t seem to have them. I have emailed the department at least 3 times and tried calling at least a dozen times but just get a voice message saying if call isn’t answered in 20 minutes the call will be ended. I don’t know what else I can do.

mhw

Apr 4, 2024
You don't need to apply for health and welfare, it rarely granted and gives you minimum powers anyway. You only need to apply for property and finance deputyship.
Yes the COp has recently changed it admin , the phones ring and cut off after 20mins so you never get through, previously if you emailed them they internally transferred to correct department now they just ignore the emails and you don't get an answer. For a gov body who charge so much money their service is disgusting.
Send emails to enquires email address unless you already have a current application and can quote the case number.

ladyboxer

Nov 12, 2023
You don't need to apply for health and welfare, it rarely granted and gives you minimum powers anyway. You only need to apply for property and finance deputyship.
Yes the COp has recently changed it admin , the phones ring and cut off after 20mins so you never get through, previously if you emailed them they internally transferred to correct department now they just ignore the emails and you don't get an answer. For a gov body who charge so much money their service is disgusting.
Send emails to enquires email address unless you already have a current application and can quote the case number.
Thank you for your replies, it seems like a total waste of time applying for it, especially when the fee is over £300. I have had 6 months of stress having to fight to get my husband into a decent care home, I've lost quite a bit of weight, and now very depressed. I don't think I can cope with anymore stress if the outcome won't really help my husband.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thank you for your replies, it seems like a total waste of time applying for it, especially when the fee is over £300.
Agree applying for welfare, except in rare circumstances, is a waste of money as it's likely to be rejected.
Finance is different, somebody has to have authority to handle his rental property and other financial affairs.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary Kupperberg