Hello all

Unknowndaughter01

Apr 18, 2024
Hi , I am Chrissy,

My mum has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's and I am also a dementia care home unit manager.

I am here to seek support for my dad (my mum's carer and his denial) .

I am also happy to help answer any questions regarding next step care options and questions x

Pilgrim

Jun 22, 2023
I am so sorry for what you are carrying. My Dad had dementia, which was horrible, but now it is my husband. It is quite a different order of pain and grief when it is your partner who is leaving you bit by bit. For a long t8me I felt I was dying too, so much of my life had been taken cruelly from me.
what keeps me going is having a little bit of my own life - times when I can be pursuing a hobby and chatting with friends about things other than dementia. Has your Dad got other outlets? Can he meet with his own friends? Pursue his own interests?

Unknowndaughter01

Apr 18, 2024
I am so sorry for what you are carrying. My Dad had dementia, which was horrible, but now it is my husband. It is quite a different order of pain and grief when it is your partner who is leaving you bit by bit. For a long t8me I felt I was dying too, so much of my life had been taken cruelly from me.
what keeps me going is having a little bit of my own life - times when I can be pursuing a hobby and chatting with friends about things other than dementia. Has your Dad got other outlets? Can he meet with his own friends? Pursue his own interests?
I tried to get him to go to the dementia coffee meets but it wasn't his cup of tea. (But he lies to the family and says it's worse kind of meeting etc but he keeps forgetting his story) .
He literally goes out to shop on a morning whilst my my sleeps.
My mum has no concept of danger .

He has a friend who calls daily but even that my mum listens in on the phone call.

He's depressed but in full denial. He keeps telling me and my sister that he's tried to seek help but there is no help 😑 when I give him forums or help lines ,he says he will call them but he never does.

I have tried to get as much help day to day as I can ,I've got dosset boxes so medication is not missed or 'forgotten' but he won't accept help- which I get .

My mum is going to be violent at some point and my dad doesn't want to see or her this - again they have been married a long long time so again I get it but my dad doesn't have a plan.
And I don't know anything about dementia or how hard it is for people who have it in their families according to my family - funny that my job states different.

But it will take a big crisis to produce a result.