Hearing

Jerac

Dec 10, 2020
I have alzheimers and vascular dementia and have both left and right hearing aids which I have had for many years with the tubes rather than full ear moulds which I couldn't get on with. They are certainly worth trying plus the batteries are free. All the very best to you both.
Thank you.

MinaBina

Apr 27, 2024
My husband has NHS hearing aids which are very good. My problem is he will only wear them when we go out. I find it very annoying watching tv or listening to the radio he keeps asking what did he say. Do others have this problem.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Good hearing helps in dementia but…

Aids amplify everything including background sounds which can be a problem.

Mums brain makes errors. I cook her a meal and her brain tells her what it will taste like. A meal though delicious can be different to what she was expecting so she rejects it

Same with the hearing aids. Despite being forewarned her brain told her that it would take her hearing back to her forties ..

This didn’t happen so of course the hearing aids don’t work, more appointments are needed (not) etc
Often mum just can’t process the speech at the time

Fingers crossed

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
i have tried but he can’t read them quickly enough. So I have to rewind all the time. He cannot use the remote anymore.
Sounds like your options may be limited. Obviously encouraging him to wear his hearing aid would be the ideal but that's easier said than done. My mum uses subtitles on her TV as she has a cochlear implant but she has used them for years so it's kind of normal for her. A lot of people don't like subtitles as they find there's a disconnect between watching whilst having to read at the same time. Possibly because the aural and visual are processed by different parts of the brain?

Mums brain makes errors. I cook her a meal and her brain tells her what it will taste like. A meal though delicious can be different to what she was expecting so she rejects it
That's really interesting.
Mum couldn't praise the food in her nursing home highly enough. But now she complains constantly about how rubbish it is. I wonder if she is experiencing the same as your mum?