Having no answers is very difficult!

Laura_1192

May 27, 2024
Apologies in advance for the length to anyone that reads this post.
I'm not one to usually post myself but it's gotten a little much lately.
My grandmother has alzheimer's and it's progressed heavily very fast from diagnosis in October to now. Just before and in the middle of those months there was a nasty streak - I've read it's a common symptom and can see quite a lot of people on here have experienced similar or the same, but lately it's gotten really bad again. She's creating scenarios that never even remotely happened, lying about very serious things shall we say, accussing my dad and I of theft when she has "lost" something or even lost something that doesn't exist and being extremely hurtful and plain nasty.
Shes even started to call the police and threatens us with that everytime she's accussing us of something that isn't true. It's happening at all hours now too.
The last 2/2.5 months, she's had other symptoms, etc that show the alzheimer's is setting in more - blank stares, lack of eating, etc... But we haven't had the nastiness. I thought we moved passed that stage and now it's back.
I just can't stand having NO answers as to how long this part will last.
Sorry again for the length, just needed to get it off my chest and this felt like a safe and non-judgy space.

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
Hi Laura
How awful for you and your Dad I hope that this phase does not last long, I wonder if its time for you and your Dad to pull back from your Grandmother and get other people involved to give you a break and some respite from the drama for your own health and wellbeing.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to posting @Laura_1192.

I’m sorry to read about your grandmother. It must be hard for you and your dad. I’m glad you’ve come here to get it off your chest.

I agree with @LouiseW. It sounds like you need some kind of respite. Do you have any support in looking after your grandmother? If an assessment of her car needs hasn’t been done then it might be an idea to get that done now -

It might also be an idea to have a chat with the GP to see if there’s any help they can offer.

Laura_1192

May 27, 2024
Thank you both for your replies.
So we can't afford carers, etc currently and we don't qualify for any free help unfortunately. She won't accept anyone else either other than us.
We have spoken with someone from the alzheimer's society which has been a great help in understanding a few things thankfully.
Also, thank you @Izzy for sending the link x

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
@Laura_1192 Remember, Grandmothers care is funded from her finances, not yours.
If you have Power of Attorney then things will be easier, Deputyship may be another route you may have to take.
Various assessments can be made on Grandmother to find her needs and ability to pay for these needs.

Bod

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I know I've said before on here, but you have to learn to live in their world when they can no longer live I ours. K