Getting weepy over persons long dead

Fmarg

Oct 5, 2015
Mt husband has suddenly become very depressed over family members who have passed over thirty years ago. I never saw him get so upset or cry in all the sixty odd years together ..however he seems to have completely
forgotten out eldest son who died from lung cancer in 2022. .how is this possible .?

Calon Lan

May 21, 2024
Hello @Fmarg

I am sorry that your husband has become depressed about family members who passed away a long time ago yet does not remember your eldest son. This must be very difficult for you.

It’s hard to be certain why this is happening, but often people with dementia lose more recent memories first. They may still have memories from longer ago. As a result they seem to “time shift” into the past. Your husband may be experiencing sadness from events of 30 years ago as if they happened very recently.

My mum sometimes gets very tearful about people who passed away 60 -70 years ago. Old photographs can sometimes act as a trigger. It’s difficult as she really likes looking at the old photos, but in a moment she can become quite upset. Thankfully I can usually comfort her and then move her thoughts onto something else.

Sending you my thoughts and best wishes.

Fmarg

Oct 5, 2015
Thank you for this response it’s comforting to hear it happens to others as well and is part of the condition.