Funding nursing home care

Robert55

Apr 17, 2024
My mother in law (MIL) has been residing in a nursing home for the past month and is currently self funding. Mother in law does not have mental capacity and a best interest meeting has concluded that her needs are too great to be cared for at home which we are in agreement. The problem is that there is no Lasting Power of attorney for MIL, therefore my step father in law or other family members cannot access her personal accounts. They did have a joint account with substantial funds in it but we now believe that the husband has moved the funds which means that no further payments can be made. I understand that the local authority can fund the placement until we secure a deputyship from the court of protection and her funds can be released to fund her care. However, I’m concerned that money from her joint account has been moved in order to avoid further payment. Any advice would be welcomed as I am pretty sure that money removed from the joint account (50% of it) should be available for care funding. Many thanks, Rob

Infinite

Aug 22, 2021
My mother in law (MIL) has been residing in a nursing home for the past month and is currently self funding. Mother in law does not have mental capacity and a best interest meeting has concluded that her needs are too great to be cared for at home which we are in agreement. The problem is that there is no Lasting Power of attorney for MIL, therefore my step father in law or other family members cannot access her personal accounts. They did have a joint account with substantial funds in it but we now believe that the husband has moved the funds which means that no further payments can be made. I understand that the local authority can fund the placement until we secure a deputyship from the court of protection and her funds can be released to fund her care. However, I’m concerned that money from her joint account has been moved in order to avoid further payment. Any advice would be welcomed as I am pretty sure that money removed from the joint account (50% of it) should be available for care funding. Many thanks, Rob
I hope you resolve this terrible dillema as much as its unfair they'll take your money because they can a blessing & a curse at this sad time best wishes.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Your step FIL could find himself in bother as social services may see this as deprivation of assets and he will have to release her money back to them. Let the local authority do the chasing on this you are not responsible for your mothers finances or for finding her care ( until deputyship is granted)

Robert55

Apr 17, 2024
Your step FIL could find himself in bother as social services may see this as deprivation of assets and he will have to release her money back to them. Let the local authority do the chasing on this you are not responsible for your mothers finances or for finding her care ( until deputyship is granted)
Indeed, we are not getting much Co operation from FIL and his siblings. I have asked for statements of joint accounts and a copy of the will but they are being avoidant. Meanwhile the social worker is asking us how MIL care will continue to be funded. Should the LA be conducting a financial assessment of assets?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes they should . Point them in the direction of your step FIL as he has all the info they need to assess her ability to pay or need to be funded. They won’t need the will.