Expired DOLS - what's the position?

LizSis

Apr 21, 2024
My sister has Down syndrome and dementia and is in a care home. Last week I asked when her DOLS would expire (middle of the night sudden thought . . .) and the Care Manager said 'oh I don't know we won't have any records about that'. I pointed out that as they are responsible for her care they would have to have a copy, and eventually she told me that it had run out a month ago. 'We've applied for another and until then we will just pretend it's in place' is the basic line they are taking. My sister continually tries to escape from the home (not surprised, I would too). Without a DOLS in place what is the position if she does get out? Not surprisingly we are trying to get her moved from this particular care home.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @LizSis

Pardon my ignorance, I thought DOLS were permanent.

I hope you will be able to get a new DOLS quickly but surely if the situation with your sister still stands, the home will be responsible for her safety especially now you have raised the issue.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
DOLS are renewed usually every year, though there are sometimes lapses and it sometimes takes homes a while to get them sorted.
I agree about the home still being responsible for her, and I also agree finding a new home sounds like a good idea.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'm looking at a DoLSO (Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding Order) all 11 pager closely typed both sides.
On the next to last page it says That the period cannot exceed one year and typed in under this is the figure 21. I assume that to be 21 days in this case. K

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sorry should have said it's a Form 4 set of paperwork, there are other versions, do you know which it they used. K

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I assumed they just rolled until you changed setting.
Presumably is someone has been assessed once, and two factors such (as your sisters) dementia & Downs syndrome- are unlikely to improve i would have thought renewall should be fairly straight forward and swift

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
That's one hell of a read sdmhred , some ineresting stuff on there, more stuff to read and think about. K

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was in residential care for four years. I attended the meeting for DoLS when he was admitted but after that nothing.

Would the fact he had lost mobility by then have affected this?