Exhausted

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Went to see mum on Saturday and things not really any better, care home said she had been good and i said are we upsetting her more being here she said sometimes they recommend family stay away for a bit to let them settle so we decided we will do that. Left Sunday and will leave today, tomorrow and then i might try Wed night after work and test the water... the staff have been great with her and i called them yesterday and they said she is eating and sitting in the day room. They said sometimes new people don't even eat so it's good she's not refusing food. It's a strange feeling because i feel a bit of relief that i know she is cared for 24 hours and can't do anything to put herself in danger but the guilt is taking over that ... I still keep waking up during the night and it's the first thing that i think of that my mum is going to be there now for the rest of her days...
I’m so sorry you feel this way. It’s so common and some days there’s no way to fend off the guilt monster. As with most decisions around dementia, taking the least worst option is the best we can do, and we make peace with it as best we can.

As the carers say she’s eating, you can only try to take the wins where you can. This nasty condition allows us so few. Sending all good wishes for happier visits ahead, once your Mum has settled in a bit.

JHA

Aug 7, 2021
I can totally relate to how you must be feeling and sadly a lot of others on here can too. You are putting your mom first to ensure her safety like a lot of us have done. My mom has been in her care home for just over two years and to this day my heart still wishes there was an alternative but my head tells me I made the right decision.

I cannot say my mom is happy (neither am I) but she is 'cared' for (having a few problems at the moment but that is another story) and safe.

When my mom was first admitted Covid was still causing problems so visiting was restricted and I was kept away for a while which probably helped her to settle and form relationships with the staff. I have what I call my brick wall and put on a brave face occasionally that brick wall crumbles but gets built back up as I still need to carry on.

Take care and be kind to yourself you are doing your best for your mom.

Jakesterblack

May 20, 2022
I can totally relate to how you must be feeling and sadly a lot of others on here can too. You are putting your mom first to ensure her safety like a lot of us have done. My mom has been in her care home for just over two years and to this day my heart still wishes there was an alternative but my head tells me I made the right decision.

I cannot say my mom is happy (neither am I) but she is 'cared' for (having a few problems at the moment but that is another story) and safe.

When my mom was first admitted Covid was still causing problems so visiting was restricted and I was kept away for a while which probably helped her to settle and form relationships with the staff. I have what I call my brick wall and put on a brave face occasionally that brick wall crumbles but gets built back up as I still need to carry on.

Take care and be kind to yourself you are doing your best for your mom.
Thank you for your reply. I know people on here understand x

Springiscoming

Feb 1, 2024
We can't even say care home, we are at the moment pretending she has been sent there from the hospital for rehab and will then go home which makes me feel even more guilty.....
The thing that actually worked for my granny when all else had failed was “convalescent home”.
I think all of us are using lies, “white lies”, “love lies” as there is no rational conversation to be had with a person with dementia and they will usually dig their heels in, or try to, to prevent the help they need being provided. Try not to feel guilty, you are acting out of care and love.

Jakesterblack

May 20, 2022
The thing that actually worked for my granny when all else had failed was “convalescent home”.
I think all of us are using lies, “white lies”, “love lies” as there is no rational conversation to be had with a person with dementia and they will usually dig their heels in, or try to, to prevent the help they need being provided. Try not to feel guilty, you are acting out of care and love.

Jakesterblack

May 20, 2022
Ye when we try and explain anything she just reverts straight back to same story, I look after myself, I take my medication, I clean my house and i go out on the bus into town for coffee there is nothing wrong with me... there is no point any more saying you haven't done this for over four years mum... it just frustrates and upsets us so we just agree and see yes but at the moment you need to be looked after so you have to stay here for a bit .....

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
You could ring Wednesday ask how mum is and ask if you should visit or make the stepping back one full week ?

They will advise you

Good luck x

phill

Aug 8, 2007
Maybe also ask them what time of day would be best for visiting her once you do resume visiting. I only say that because, if she is someone who “ sundowns”, then your idea to visit her after you finish work could mean seeing her at the time of day when she’s at her least calm.

Jakesterblack

May 20, 2022
Maybe also ask them what time of day would be best for visiting her once you do resume visiting. I only say that because, if she is someone who “ sundowns”, then your idea to visit her after you finish work could mean seeing her at the time of day when she’s at her least calm.
Ye problem is I work full time in the office Monday to Friday so apart from weekend has to be evenings after work...