End of life

LJC10

May 21, 2022
Hi everyone,

We’re at the strage now where it was decided that it was best for my MIL to start end of life care. Shes been really unwell this week she had pulmonary embolism that was found in a ct scan when they started to treat it it caused her dementia induced epilepsy to become worse and not controlled. The doctor was amazing today and gave us all the options avalible to us, but he was clear her quality of life is poor. So end of life care was the best decision for her. He hasn’t mentioned anything about her returning to her care home. Will they keep her in hospital to the end or move her? We would prefer her to be transferred back to the home under nursing care. She currently doesn’t receive any form of CHC it’s self funded by herself. Would we be in a position to request an assessment? I don’t really know how all this works. It’s a bit of a mindfield.
Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hi, I’m sorry to read about your MIL. I would speak with the care home, most would welcome back a resident to spend their final days/weeks in their care.

If that happens, most care homes are well versed in starting the CHC process but obviously she needs to be there to do so.

Being in a familiar environment with people who know her is by far the best but the hospital may offer advice to the contrary. Speak to the Home first then you can confidently ask the hospital to transfer her.

Take good care of yourself and try and get rest when you can,

LJC10

May 21, 2022
Hi, I’m sorry to read about your MIL. I would speak with the care home, most would welcome back a resident to spend their final days/weeks in their care.

If that happens, most care homes are well versed in starting the CHC process but obviously she needs to be there to do so.

Being in a familiar environment with people who know her is by far the best but the hospital may offer advice to the contrary. Speak to the Home first then you can confidently ask the hospital to transfer her.

Take good care of yourself and try and get rest when you can,
I have a meeting with them tomorrow before I speak to the hospital again!

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it

LJC10

May 21, 2022
I wanted to give an update, my mother in law is transferring back to the care home yesterday with fast track CHC funding. She is holding on she hasn’t had any fluid of food for around 5 days now so I don’t think it’s going to be long!
Thank you for the advice

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) @LJC10

You are into the last long vigil now
Remember that she will still be able to hear even if she cannot respond, so make sure that you say the important things to her and tell that it is OK to go. Play her favourite music.

Look after yourself and remember to sleep, eat and drink. Sometimes it is surprising how long they can hold on for.
xxx