DOLS Advice Please

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Hi. I wonder if someone could enlighten me with how the DOLS process works please? I understand its purpose etc, but I've never been involved in the process and wonder if I should have been?

Mum's been a resident in 2 nursing homes. When she was in the first one, I only found out that a DOLS had been put in place during the course of an assessment for CHC funding.

Mum moved to a different nursing home last November and because of that, an application was made for another DOLS. Again, I didn't know anything about it until I received a phone call from a DOLS assessor who told me that she had completed the assessment and needed to see my LPOA - apparently, the home wouldn't let her see the copy I had provided them with. If they had let her see my LPOA, again I would be none the wiser.

Mum has no capacity (hence the DOLS). As her LPOA, should I not be representing mum's best interests during any assessments? During the phone call with the assessor I asked if a copy of the DOLS document could be emailed to me and she said that Social Services would send it to me. I haven't received anything, nor did I for the previous DOLS.

Perhaps this is the normal state of play? Thank you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry you’re having these problems. I wondered if it would help to call the Support Line for advice -

This also has information on DOLS but not sure if will help answer you question -

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
https://www.scie.org.uk/mca/dols/at...alid advance,DoLS authorisation (no refusals).

Hi @luggy

I had a skim read of this which suggests we should be consulted as part of the assessment process- whether it happens or not is another question.

Local authorities however are about to be CQC inspected and rated now however so this issue may well become highlighted

I know mum has had an application put in but no idea if it’s been assessed or not - I certainly as POA have not heard anything.

I would think you have every right to chase the paperwork …if you have the energies for it!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I haven’t been personally involved n any meetings but I have had conversations with the DoLS assessors ( one of whom it transpires I used to work with, funny old world) seeking my take on mums care and if here needs are being met. I was also sent a copy of the report quite quickly which I had to sign and return as her representative. So it does seem like you are not being kept up to speed .

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I never saw any paperwork- wasnt sure i needed to .

It was for the nursing home, to keep her safe. Did I feel the need as her POA to represent her bests interest? it was in her best interest to be kept safe.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
In order for someone to be detained against their will there has to be some legal process, we do live in a free country.
The police can read you your rights and arrest you, you can be detained under the Mental Health Act, usually Section 2 or 3, sectioning as it's called for short.
A Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding Order is another, Part 8 of Schedule A1 of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 people can be detained for their own safety or at risk to themselves or others, there has to be some legal process.
As for the PoA do you hold Health and Welfare, Legal and Financial or both would be my first question, they are the same but cover different areas and don't really overlap.
Hope that helps. K

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
When my mother's DoLS was done, I was sent a sheaf of paperwork to fill in and return, and also had a call from the DoLS assessor (who was checking I was happy with the care home and asking general questions about my mother). I have LPA Finance but the assessor showed no interest in that, I was approached as daughter rather than attorney.

The paperwork included the question as to whether I wanted to be my mother's Representative (to represent her bests interests). If not, SS would appoint someone. I agreed to do it. I have never actually had to do anything though. The process is renewed every year, so every autumn I get the paperwork to sign and return, and the phone call from the (always very nice) assessor.

I have never attended any meetings. I think that is only necessary if there is a problem and in our case there hasn't been.

Last edited:

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum has had a few DOLS assessments now, I haven't been present at any of them (not told it was going to be done) but have always received a telephone call after the assessment to fill me in as to what was asked, mum's response if any and then have been asked a few questions regarding mum. I've been asked if I held POA and I think they have always seen the copy that the home hold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicky67!