Direct Payments....

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
OH`s social worker has suggested I, as OH`s sole carer, apply to our council for Direct Payments as this will give me the freedom to choose the support I feel is best needed. Initially I thought this would be a great idea but now having read more about this on the council`s website I am not so sure. A budget is allocated following a carer`s assessment and one has to stick religiously to agreed help required and provide receipts for all expenditure. I am wondering if any of you kind people have gone down this route and if it proved worthwhile. Knowing how so many councils are financially restricted these days, especially ours, I can only presume that a direct payment budget would be the bare minimum and relatively inflexible. Any advice will be appreciated.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I used direct payments for my husband’s and also my mother’s care. I live in Scotland so systems might be different here. It was also some time ago as my husband died almost 8 years ago.

He got a generous package of hours and the budget was paid into a dedicated account which I set up. I was fortunate that in my area we had an excellent Carers Centre and they had a team which supported people who were using direct payments. They saw to the employment side of things and let me know when I had to, for example, make a payment to HMRC. They sent me the payslips for the carers and I kept time sheets (provided by social work) which were sent in every month. I was also lucky enough to get excellent carers - I actually poached two from the care agency we had been using. I was able to buy things like gloves and aprons from the account but not, for instance, continence supplies. It wasn’t too restrictive and worked well for The system is still on the go in Scotland and is now known as Self Directed Support.

As I say my experience may not be relevant to your situation. I’m sure others with more relevant experience will share their thoughts with you.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I used direct payments for my husband’s and also my mother’s care. I live in Scotland so systems might be different here. It was also some time ago as my husband died almost 8 years ago.

He got a generous package of hours and the budget was paid into a dedicated account which I set up. I was fortunate that in my area we had an excellent Carers Centre and they had a team which supported people who were using direct payments. They saw to the employment side of things and let me know when I had to, for example, make a payment to HMRC. They sent me the payslips for the carers and I kept time sheets (provided by social work) which were sent in every month. I was also lucky enough to get excellent carers - I actually poached two from the care agency we had been using. I was able to buy things like gloves and aprons from the account but not, for instance, continence supplies. It wasn’t too restrictive and worked well for The system is still on the go in Scotland and is now known as Self Directed Support.

As I say my experience may not be relevant to your situation. I’m sure others with more relevant experience will share their thoughts with you.
Thank you Izzy. I may be interested if our city council can provide a similar system.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m in Kent and I used Direct Payments for the care of my husband.

The agency was recommended by our Social Worker and the manager visited me and we discussed my husband`s needs, in the kitchen, because he was very anti intrusion.

I was listened to and the carer who was allocated was a godsend. She was well trained and experienced and soon had my husband eating out of her hand.

I would not want to give anyone false hopes. I know things have changed since covid but my personal experience of Direct Payments was as positive as anything could be.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I`m in Kent and I used Direct Payments for the care of my husband.

The agency was recommended by our Social Worker and the manager visited me and we discussed my husband`s needs, in the kitchen, because he was very anti intrusion.

I was listened to and the carer who was allocated was a godsend. She was well trained and experienced and soon had my husband eating out of her hand.

I would not want to give anyone false hopes. I know things have changed since covid but my personal experience of Direct Payments was as positive as anything could be.
Thank you Grannie G. Your experience is encouraging.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
I have been thinking lately that I really need a break and although know my husband won't like me leaving him, I really am needing a few hours to myself. The experiences shared here have really helped..time for a carers assessment I think.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I have been thinking lately that I really need a break and although know my husband won't like me leaving him, I really am needing a few hours to myself. The experiences shared here have really helped..time for a carers assessment I think.
it does make a difference to have some time to yourself to be your own person again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ju2009JJJ