Dementia Obsession

44Lisa44

May 8, 2024
Hi Everyone,

My mum who is 80 this year was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia & Alzheimers back in 2022 but we are pretty sure she has had it longer. At the moment she lives at home with my dad. I have not always had the greatest relationship with my mum but am trying to help my dad out as much as possible. I work full time running my own business and have a husband and kids who i want to spend any free time I get with as well. I try and take my mum out a couple of times a week to give my dad a break but the problem is all my mum wants to do is shop. Not so much clothes but more food shopping. She keeps buying the same items despite us saying to her she has some at home. She can get angry with us so we have found the easiest thing to do is remove the items from the trolley as we are going round the supermarket. So if you find random items on shelves it is probably from someone in a similar situation to ours lol. As she has short term memory loss she cannot remember what she has put in the basket. This has worked till now and any duplicated items get given away. My dad has always been tight with his money and wants us to try and limit her spending. So does anyone know of other things to do with my mum that don't involve shopping. We have tried taking her out for lunch etc but she is a picky eaters and if she is not moaning about the food she will be moaning about the cost! She doesn't have any hobbies and she has upset a lot of her friends :-(
At what stage did you get carers in? My mum is addiment there is nothing wrong with her and is very stubborn.
I can't even spend time with my dad as she thinks we are conspiring against her even if we are just chatting. I miss time with my dad and I know he is struggling as he is 83 as well.
Any help gratefully appreciated.

Lisa x

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Welcome to the community @44Lisa44 - you've come to the right place. I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, and that your dad is understandably struggling. It sounds like this is having a big impact on you and your family. I hope you'll find lots of support from other members here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @44Lisa44
When I took my mum out I used to take her to various places. Garden centres were popular in the summer, as was a local zoo and a NT property. Lots of these sort of places do reduced prices for disabled people and often their carer can get in for free. Mums favourite places, though, were free! She loved going to a farm shop/cafe that had petting animals in an adjacent field (and fortunately wasn't intrrested in buying the produce!), going along the sea prom with an ice cream, but best of all she loved going to the park and feeding the ducks.