Dementia and Diabetis 1

jpcubberly

May 1, 2022
could use some advice with someone in same situation . having trouble with feeding and shots. I am the vilian . She is 81 we have been married for 61 years. This has been really real hard. About two years cannot complete sentences or problems. So communicating is hard.

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
My mum is type one. She can get really angry at a nurse giving her an injection, but if she is included… “ oh, your blood sugar is 15, how much insulin do you think?” Or sometimes they draw it up and let her inject ( depending on how alert she is she can still do this, sort of like muscle memory) she seems to accept it better. I think it’s really hard to relinquish control when it’s been such a major part of their lives ( 50 years for my mum)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome.
If and I assume you're a carer managing both some type of dementia and someone who is also type 1 diabetic, if I read it right and she doesn't like the regular insulin injections, don't know what to say.
The post from Suzysheep01 made me think, managing the condition pre AZ diagnosis and becoming diabetic post diagnosis, must be both equally hard but in different ways.
Made me think. K