Dear Diary!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Mum increasingly coherent in short bursts past couple of days and using words not heard in a while, there's an extra spark in her eyes too 🤔 We'll take it!!

* Note - Total seesaw eh?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oh my @sdmhred - how heartbreaking my friend. Mum has Flopsy 1 and Duggie too - we have a little ritual which I perform whilst tucking her in, she's just looking for something a little bit extra at the moment. On the plus side I've learnt to sleep on six inches (width) of hospital bed haha ;)
Gosh I don’t know how you’re sleeping on the edge of the hospital bed 🙈🙈 i did a few weeks on the floor prior to my fall detector arriving but that was my limit.

I have a new motto in life ‘late stage dementia is **** but I grab hold of any unexpected treasures that come my way’……today I was a little like the pied piper of dementia in the dining room, but it was a privilege to hang round with some special people 🥰🥰

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Gosh I don’t know how you’re sleeping on the edge of the hospital bed 🙈🙈 i did a few weeks on the floor prior to my fall detector arriving but that was my limit.

I have a new motto in life ‘late stage dementia is **** but I grab hold of any unexpected treasures that come my way’……today I was a little like the pied piper of dementia in the dining room, but it was a privilege to hang round with some special people 🥰🥰
Bit of a Houdini me ;) can actually sleep anywhere - standing, leaning, perched haha, hmm actually anywhere other than my folding bed!! Trust me, in my 'youth' and earlier student days I woke up in some really funny places... 🤔 the things we do eh?

You have made so many friends there, your heart must be so big to embrace so many @sdmhred ❤😇

And yep late stage is total ******* **** moreso for mum, her fortitude however continues to inspire me. I'll take any little thing - last night whilst sitting next to mum on bed she said 'I love you son' ... gives me such a boost :)

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Out yesterday afternoon with mum for a couple of hours, a spontaneous sort of thing - sunny albeit windy/blowy cold in places. Got mum out of wheelchair quickly on arrival at park bench as not to make RA any worse than it currently is, she leant into me as the wind buffeted us but was enjoyed nonetheless. Anyways had our packed lunch/drinks, fed the ducks and listened to music before we had a 'short walk' together ❤ Didn't have a p.m. nap retiring to bed early as a result but worth the trade off methinks!

She was happy 😊

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Out yesterday afternoon with mum for a couple of hours, a spontaneous sort of thing - sunny albeit windy/blowy cold in places. Got mum out of wheelchair quickly on arrival at park bench as not to make RA any worse than it currently is, she leant into me as the wind buffeted us but was enjoyed nonetheless. Anyways had our packed lunch/drinks, fed the ducks and listened to music before we had a 'short walk' together ❤ Didn't have a p.m. nap retiring to bed early as a result but worth the trade off methinks!

She was happy 😊
Sounds a wonderful day - 😀

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Sounds a wonderful day - 😀
It was @Knitandpurl :) Very easy to get out of the habit of trundling forth especially with the weather being so consistently wet since October and mum's RA a constant management issue but we were both desperate to give it a go!! Pleased it worked out so well :) mum's cheeky smile was a welcome return for our efforts.

Poplar

May 30, 2022
It's good that she can still enjoy the television. Let it ride. One day things won't make as much sense. My mother started saying movies and TV shows were "stupid" because she couldn't follow the storylines. That's when nature programmes of fluffy and attractive animals came in.

Poplar

May 30, 2022
Our current viewing is Somebody Feed Phil. My husband gets concerned now about any action films, include Westerns that he used to love, thinks we are in danger and hard to convince him all is well so Phil is a safe bet for now.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
I am finding films are mainly best avoided now as some very strange interpretations by my husband and these usually mean a disturbed night. Looked up Somebody feed Phil but unfortunately we don't have netflix. Repair shop and pointless are safe bets for us as is a Poirot...gets bit boring though!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I am finding films are mainly best avoided now as some very strange interpretations by my husband and these usually mean a disturbed night. Looked up Somebody feed Phil but unfortunately we don't have netflix. Repair shop and pointless are safe bets for us as is a Poirot...gets bit boring though!
mine has problems following film plots. he likes his F1, ladies rugby and football. he likers nature programs - enjoyed spring time on the farm as he grew up on one and mammals

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Our current viewing is Somebody Feed Phil. My husband gets concerned now about any action films, include Westerns that he used to love, thinks we are in danger and hard to convince him all is well so Phil is a safe bet for now.
Totally understand that having experienced something similar at the outset of our journey together but mum's taste in film/Tv shifted dramatically to mirror my late dad's several years ago. The more blood, bullets and violent fight scenes there she gets really cognitively sharp & focused... Lots of smiles, big energy and eager for commentary from myself!! If mum's happy and motivated it's a win-win all round I suppose ;) Freddy Vs. Jason tonight haha. I do remember as a small child she went to see 'Alien' with my dad, was also a huge fan of B/W horrors that featured the likes of Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr. and Bela Lugosi... Hmm I know I digress here but anyone recollect 'The Beast with Five Fingers'? I also remember hiding behind a newspaper whilst watching the original Tv film of 'Salem's Lot' with mum, the scratching on the hospital window.... Perhaps it was always her thing the more I think about it 🤔

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Mum does like 'Foyle's War' :) I found in the earlier part of our journey it was initially challenging to separate reality and fiction but that reset itself soon enough. Interactive displays in museums that included audio/visual media... well mum thought she was talking to actual people!

But again each person is different and if your husband is being triggered by certain genres or films in general I would not hesitate to play it safe myself. Can be a long process of trial and error. Our loved one's wellbeing is the ultimate driver in all things.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Got 'lots' of zedding time in last night in-between personal visits for mum... just before midnight, 1.27, 3.17 and 5.05am. Was up at 7.30 before walking to shops for 8am, mum up at 8.30 - washed, dressed then breakfast before late morning nap... then out to chemists & quick pop in shops again. Mum awake at 12.45pm, ready for another personal visit then lunch, mid-lunch PV before returning to finish sandwiches followed by another PV and asleep just now for midafternoon nap whilst I prepare dinner. Phew, normal day then eh? Haha 😄 Wouldn't have it any other way peeps, all kudos to mum - keeps on rolling this one ❤

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Real pain management issues this p.m. consequently PRN offered and accepted (trust me she is quite capable of declining!) however although improvements noted mum requested another this evening (she can have up to four daily). Now I'm not a fan of codeine as most people know on this forum but mum wouldn't have asked if not in serious need as she's not a big fan either. Fingers crossed for her anyways, have a feeling it's going to be an early/busy night my friends...

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well it wasn't a busy night at all! Retired to bed strangely enough after my last entry, expected to be up and down but only assisted mum with 3 x PVs each at her own indication that she was ready to go; although I had my alarm set at 5.05am for a final PV she was well away so I left her zedding. Mum in great humour and looking fresh when I did assist her which I commented upon. Yes she will probs be bunged up today as a consequence of taking 2 x PRNs but on this occasion will not dwell on it too much as there is no sign of discomfort... so far :) We only use it when mum is of a mind to accept it as she knows it can impact her negatively in other ways but on this showing it's a win!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Spent a nice hour in the backroom listening to music with mum whilst I sorted her nails, was well relaxed as she leant heavily into my shoulder :) I remember many years ago our first attempts at such - total failure haha. She would pull away, jostle, the works... and I mean the works!!! So for anyone struggling out there after investing some time on the Krypton Factor-like trials of nail care you will get it eventually... honest ;) Toenails tomorrow peeps, tally ho and all that!

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Spent a nice hour in the backroom listening to music with mum whilst I sorted her nails, was well relaxed as she leant heavily into my shoulder :) I remember many years ago our first attempts at such - total failure haha. She would pull away, jostle, the works... and I mean the works!!! So for anyone struggling out there after investing some time on the Krypton Factor-like trials of nail care you will get it eventually... honest ;) Toenails tomorrow peeps, tally ho and all that!
I hated doing my Mum’s nails, her fingers would be rigid and she’d be ‘oohing’ before I’d even touched her. I was so glad when she moved into the Home they had a manicurist come round - and she loved her. Luckily hubby has no such problems with me doing his nails, and likes nothing better than a foot massage. Like you I find that quite a nice ‘chunky’ thing to do.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I hated doing my Mum’s nails, her fingers would be rigid and she’d be ‘oohing’ before I’d even touched her. I was so glad when she moved into the Home they had a manicurist come round - and she loved her. Luckily hubby has no such problems with me doing his nails, and likes nothing better than a foot massage. Like you I find that quite a nice ‘chunky’ thing to do.
Yep I find it quite therapeutic, not rushing around or anything :) a quiet moment in a usually busy day. It was definitely a high risk manoeuvre and took us both time to adapt, mum would often jerk her hand away with accompanying sound effects! Fortunately no such problems today and isn't your husband a lucky chap... a foot massage too!!

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
With sunnier weather comes greater cognizance, always amazes me how the turning of the seasons can have such an impact on mum. Greater verbal skills and awareness so much more improved despite her ongoing physical challenges :)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Helping mum load fork with food when she turns round to me and says 'Yeah I got it' ... less work for me then eh? ;)