Dear Diary!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Received phone call from 'care navigator' in the community team today regarding our six-month review. Standard set of brief questions with similarly quick replies from myself. How are you? Are you managing? Have you got our contact details? They've always been approachable but it was just a matter of crossing the t's and dotting the i's...

On a lighter note ;) out with mum today to the park; sandwiches, drinks, liberating more daffs - you know the score peeps! She looks great following trip as getting out really agrees with her, making rod for my own back though because as soon as we returned she was eager to travel once more!! Wheelchair starting to look uncomfortable however, her posture never seems right. Consequently when we get to the park, it's straight out of chair to our bench by the bandstand. So a new job to add to list, contact wheelchair services and get mum reassessed to forestall any potential long-term difficulties.

Happy days :)

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Hi @Eddcorner
Is it just me or are the daffs hanging on a bit longer this year? That cool easterly wind maybe helping them to stick around.
Do you get many bands playing on the bandstand?

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Hi @Eddcorner
Is it just me or are the daffs hanging on a bit longer this year? That cool easterly wind maybe helping them to stick around.
Do you get many bands playing on the bandstand?
Hi @Neveradullday! :)

The weather is so topsy-turvy these days so you never know what flowers are going to be in bloom, daffs have been particularly resilient even with our continuing efforts to diminish their numbers ;)

No I've never seen a band play, its only been restored to some sort of vigour this past decade led by a chap I used to associate with. Really dedicated. People sometimes use it, like the youths I saw the other day boxing, others to drink or 'chilli' out. There are others but in different parks which are utilised to great effect but mum frequented this park as a youngster, she also took me there as a small child to see firework displays many years ago too.

Holds a lot of memories :)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Had plans to travel today and take advantage of the weather, so sunny 🌞 After late morning nap I was geared up and ready to venture out with mum when she said she was 'tired'... threw me a bit I must say. We've been out several times (every other day) when weather holds and she's not twitching, probs just caught up with her although it's not stopped her looking at her going out shoes; mind is willing but physical disposition holding her back a touch. Situations are always fluid and there's always tomorrow, notably have made the mistake of doing too much in rapid succession before with long recovery periods thereafter. Consequently the daffodils will enjoy a brief stay of execution. Tally ho folks, tally ho 🖖

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Smoked haddock with peas tonight, have already been 'told off' for assisting too much! 'I can do it' ... mealtimes can take as much as two hours especially if mum enjoys the different textures and flavours on offer; her right hand is also intermittently cold (left too but not as bad) so I'll help when needed whilst we warm that hand up. Hotdogs and sausages were her faves and would disappear very quickly but they're a big no-no now, no processed foods or ready meals as well. Mum did eat reasonably healthy but those quicker emergency options are a thing of the past, so creative white fish and chicken options are the order of the day! Oh and of course we have to watch Alice Roberts doing her history thing, another must at mealtimes ;)

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
White fish and chicken, always a good option, @Eddcorner.
I do all the cooking and beverages now (May the Lord help us) - mum doesn't have a clue.

Alice Roberts? - any day of the week! 😍

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Mum often thinks we’re in a care home and I get told they ‘do good food here’ 🤣🤣 thankfully she can manage herself with eating at the minute but it does GO everywhere!! I have to cover her head to toe or I would be changing her clothes 3 times a day!

@Eddcorner you are going to get me in trouble with the law - I was walking up a quiet footpath earlier and had the wicked thought of liberating some bluebells 🙈🙈🤣🤣 TP leading its members into crime 🤣🤣

we also like Alice Roberts - but maybe for different reasons 😉😉 after of course her favourite Michael Portillo 😱😱 I wash up then!!

tonight we will be back to gory lamb birthings! Generally nature is our therapy - mum can’t follow a story so watching scenery is good!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
White fish and chicken, always a good option, @Eddcorner.
I do all the cooking and beverages now (May the Lord help us) - mum doesn't have a clue.

Alice Roberts? - any day of the week! 😍
History both modern and ancient always been her thing, mine too. Coincidentally my daughter is at Oxford studying the Classics with access to the Bodleian Library... mightily jealous haha!

My cooking skills were seriously rusty @Neveradullday! Like riding a bicycle though... well almost haha :) I'm sure you're doing an admirable job 🖖

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I meant to say have u guys heard of the olio app? Once a week we get free cook meals 😀😀

our free dinner tonight 😀😀
1FD4C7D2-E9D7-4CA7-AF6F-0CAF481C75EE.jpeg

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Mum often thinks we’re in a care home and I get told they ‘do good food here’ 🤣🤣 thankfully she can manage herself with eating at the minute but it does GO everywhere!! I have to cover her head to toe or I would be changing her clothes 3 times a day!

@Eddcorner you are going to get me in trouble with the law - I was walking up a quiet footpath earlier and had the wicked thought of liberating some bluebells 🙈🙈🤣🤣 TP leading its members into crime 🤣🤣

we also like Alice Roberts - but maybe for different reasons 😉😉 after of course her favourite Michael Portillo 😱😱 I wash up then!!

tonight we will be back to gory lamb birthings! Generally nature is our therapy - mum can’t follow a story so watching scenery is good!
Ditto on Alice Roberts @sdmhred 😇

Regarding the daffs and other 'liberated' flowers 'it was mum that made me do it officer'!! Yes, total bad influence me haha ;) As a teen we had a biology lesson and needed to dissect a flower, I believe a garden with some tulips was quite popular with the students that afternoon - me? I didn't touch a one, very well behaved I was 🙏

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
It’s a food waste app. Folk collect stuff supermarkets are going to chuck & advertise on the app. You then say what you want and collect from the volunteers drive way. There’s quite a bit of junk but I’ve discovered every wednesday a Lady collects from Cook so we’ve had some v tasty free dinners.

the other app we use loads is To Good To Go. Again to prevent food waste but u pay a small amount £3/4 and get a bag of leftovers. Greggs usually do a good selection for a picnic £2.50 ish for 3 rolls plus a couple of cakes or croissants. We have a local independent cafe where we get their Friday leftovers most weeks - usually get 4/5 sandwiches v generous fillings that see us through weekend lunches plus often they will throw in half a loaf of bread, fruit that won’t make it til monday etc.

mum loves her food and doesn’t get the technology but it makes for a good trip and she is quite tickled when I run up a drive way or into a cafe and re-appear with some tasty food 🤣🤣

what an exciting life eh! But also saving the planet and a bit of cash 😀

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Ditto on Alice Roberts @sdmhred 😇

Regarding the daffs and other 'liberated' flowers 'it was mum that made me do it officer'!! Yes, total bad influence me haha ;) As a teen we had a biology lesson and needed to dissect a flower, I believe a garden with some tulips was quite popular with the students that afternoon - me? I didn't touch a one, very well behaved I was 🙏
did you have your fingers crossed when you said that. fairies get every where and lead you into all sorts of trouble, naughty fairies!!!

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
It’s a food waste app. Folk collect stuff supermarkets are going to chuck & advertise on the app. You then say what you want and collect from the volunteers drive way. There’s quite a bit of junk but I’ve discovered every wednesday a Lady collects from Cook so we’ve had some v tasty free dinners.

the other app we use loads is To Good To Go. Again to prevent food waste but u pay a small amount £3/4 and get a bag of leftovers. Greggs usually do a good selection for a picnic £2.50 ish for 3 rolls plus a couple of cakes or croissants. We have a local independent cafe where we get their Friday leftovers most weeks - usually get 4/5 sandwiches v generous fillings that see us through weekend lunches plus often they will throw in half a loaf of bread, fruit that won’t make it til monday etc.

mum loves her food and doesn’t get the technology but it makes for a good trip and she is quite tickled when I run up a drive way or into a cafe and re-appear with some tasty food 🤣🤣

Thanks for the info, @sdmhred, really interesting.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020

That's a great heads-up @sdmhred :) I don't drive as I've always been chauffeured around by peeps but I'm sure I can come up with a workaround if need be. I've downloaded the App so I'll have a pop at navigating the site.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well new sphygmomanometer, finger oximeter and temperature gun arrived today... as well as nonprescription creams, hand exercise balls & more dry marker pens for mum, oh and everything else besides!! So government COL monies already spent (in advance haha). Have felt very much on the ball this past 48 hours but for some reason my organisational skills jump a notch or two at this time of year ;) Dreaded spring/summer clothes purchases soon as well, always a bit hit and miss on this one but with mum's help should surmount the worst of it 🤞 one hopes anyways... Tally ho chaps, tally ho!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Well new sphygmomanometer, finger oximeter and temperature gun arrived today... as well as nonprescription creams, hand exercise balls & more dry marker pens for mum, oh and everything else besides!! So government COL monies already spent (in advance haha). Have felt very much on the ball this past 48 hours but for some reason my organisational skills jump a notch or two at this time of year
What has been going on?
Is this due to her cold hands?

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
What has been going on?
Is this due to her cold hands?
No not really @canary we're okay :)

I've been wanting to update our medical stuff, for those basic obs we have a smartwatch but it doesn't really cut it accuracy-wise. So whilst the monies were there I just wanted to ensure we had access to proper equipment for now and in the future, it's the nurse in me I suppose. Mum does present with vasovagal events as well as gallbladder issues, this enables us both to be a little bit more proactive. But thanks for inquiring 💚