Dad in hospital. Do I have to continue to pay a carehome who say they can’t meet his care needs and he can’t return?

JessicaFK

Mar 20, 2022
Dad in hospital. Do I have to continue to pay his carehome fees when they say he can’t go back as they can’t meet his care needs. Can we terminate contract ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If the care home says they can no longer accept him as a resident I would regard that as (notice of?) termination of contract from the date they informed you.
What does the contract say about termination by the home, what notice does it have to give?
Your aim is to stop paying as soon as legally possible.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You'll have to continue to pay if his stuff occupies a room. Can you move his stuff to your house?

Where is he going to go whe he's discharged?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can you move his stuff to your house?
No point untill any notice of termination period (probably 4 weeks) has expired.
Occupying the room untill just before notice date would make sure it's not being used and paid for by A N Other.
If they are desperate for the room they can stop charging you if you vacate before end of period.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
The care home requested my mum be moved. Because of this payments were stopped when her room was emptied.