Council tax help.

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Hi, was told my brother would probably be eligible for council tax help on the grounds of having alzheimers. Phoned our local council office who were not that helpful I think they said it was dependent on savings. A social worker has told me to try again, they can give a supporting letter, but just wondered if anyone knows for certain. Brother does have savings. Thank you

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
Hi @Jake's Nan - Savings are not taken into account but what you need to ask for is a form for 'Council Tax Disregard' -it is a few years since I did it for MIL & FIL but it was a short form that I filled in their details and the GP's - the council then sent it to the GP for him to complete his bit. I got the disregard backdated to their date of diagnosis but not all councils do this.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Ring the LA and ask for a form to claim SMI (severe mental impairment) council tax disregard.

He must be eligible for one of the following benefits

• Short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • The ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘the limited capability for work related elements’ of Universal Credit

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Hi @Jake's Nan - Savings are not taken into account but what you need to ask for is a form for 'Council Tax Disregard' -it is a few years since I did it for MIL & FIL but it was a short form that I filled in their details and the GP's - the council then sent it to the GP for him to complete his bit. I got the disregard backdated to their date of diagnosis but not all councils do this.
Thank you, very helpful.

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Ring the LA and ask for a form to claim SMI (severe mental impairment) council tax disregard.

He must be eligible for one of the following benefits

• Short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • The ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘the limited capability for work related elements’ of Universal Credit
Thank you, yes he gets PIP, will fill out form online ASAP.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As far as I understand it it is a "Mandatory Disregard" in England at least, my wife was not counted for CT purposes once diagnosed with Severe Mental Impairment (SMI) so I got a 25 percent reduction in our CT bill same as someone living alone.
Certain benefits are an automatic qualifier as has been said already. Hope that helps. K