Constant night time phone calls

Bluesy410

May 10, 2024
My Dad, who has Alzheimer's, lives independently. However, over the last few weeks he constantly rings me during the night to ask me to confirm the time ( he reads it out loud from his clock display) . Last night between 1am and 6am I had 25 phone calls. I don't want to put my phone on silent in case there is an emergency bit I am absolutely shattered.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
I’m afraid I think you have to turn your phone to silent, at least for a night now and again. This is yet another of the decisions that dementia forces on us, to choose the least worst option.

You’ll be in no fit state to support your Dad unless you get some sleep. There’s more likelihood of harm coming to you through lack of sleep, than there is for something to happen to him. Put the phone on silent. He clearly doesn’t remember that he’s called you, so each call to him will just be a single missed call and it may not distress him.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Bluesy410 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I would agree with @Collywobbles, you need to look after yourself and the only way to do this is to put the phone on silent.
It is possible that your dad is calling you so often because he is anxious so it might be useful to arrange a meds review with his GP to see if they could recommend anything to help.

phill

Aug 8, 2007
My Dad, who has Alzheimer's, lives independently. However, over the last few weeks he constantly rings me during the night to ask me to confirm the time ( he reads it out loud from his clock display) . Last night between 1am and 6am I had 25 phone calls. I don't want to put my phone on silent in case there is an emergency bit I am absolutely shattered.
It’s worth notifying his GP, in case he’s got a urinary tract infection that is making his confusion worse. But many people with dementia do start experiencing the passage of time so differently that they are simply unable to believe what clocks (and other people) are telling them about what time of day it is. Once they have reached that stage, they are likely to need to live somewhere with 24 hour supervision on the premises, so that there’s always someone physically present to reassure them, reorient them and take action if the person wants to go out in the middle of the night.

DollyM1

Dec 21, 2022
My father did this, the calls overnight. We unplugged out landline but left mobiles on so that, in case of an emergency, we were contactable. Dad never remembered calling so never got upset that we didn’t answer. Turned out he had a long list of friends and family that were getting the middle of the night calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucy Lockett