Brighter days

Abba

Apr 25, 2024
Greetings from Canada. I am new here and happy to have found this active forum.
2015 - Doreen - my dearest friend (82) received dementia diagnoses and continued to live her independent life. Unfortunately, it would change for the worst.
2018 - unemployed daughter(55) crashed her mother's life. The house has been consumed by hoarding. Doreen's friends were bullied away from her life.
Long story short.....
Doreen. Visible decline in physical health, due to dehydration & electrolyte imbalances. Mental health, has become a ghost, losing her self-esteem, dignity and appearance. Daughter does not help her with hygiene, grooming, clipping her nails, etc. I bought a brush for Doreen that stays in my car. Her hair gets brushed on Thursdays by myself and is improving at doing it herself. Her PSW helps on her visits.
For the past 6 years I have been in and out of Doreen's life, due to interference from the toxic-daughter. Finally, Sept 2023, weekly outings begin! Girls do lunch! At last, nutritious food. Has not been to a hair salon in 6 years, desperately needs new clothes, etc. Slowly we go, as some days are a little overwhelming for a person who has been secluded from society for 6 years.
Thank you to PSW's the world over. You are angels who make people's lives a better place to live. Doreen's PSW, who visits twice a week, has brought her a long ways over 6 months.
Thank you for reading along. Abba.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hello over in Canada @Abba, and welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend Doreen, and I can imagine it must have been very difficult for you to see her health decline over the years although it's good to hear that her care has started to improve. Please feel free to continue sharing - you'll find lots of support and understanding on here.

martygirldog

Dec 23, 2023
Greetings from Canada. I am new here and happy to have found this active forum.
2015 - Doreen - my dearest friend (82) received dementia diagnoses and continued to live her independent life. Unfortunately, it would change for the worst.
2018 - unemployed daughter(55) crashed her mother's life. The house has been consumed by hoarding. Doreen's friends were bullied away from her life.
Long story short.....
Doreen. Visible decline in physical health, due to dehydration & electrolyte imbalances. Mental health, has become a ghost, losing her self-esteem, dignity and appearance. Daughter does not help her with hygiene, grooming, clipping her nails, etc. I bought a brush for Doreen that stays in my car. Her hair gets brushed on Thursdays by myself and is improving at doing it herself. Her PSW helps on her visits.
For the past 6 years I have been in and out of Doreen's life, due to interference from the toxic-daughter. Finally, Sept 2023, weekly outings begin! Girls do lunch! At last, nutritious food. Has not been to a hair salon in 6 years, desperately needs new clothes, etc. Slowly we go, as some days are a little overwhelming for a person who has been secluded from society for 6 years.
Thank you to PSW's the world over. You are angels who make people's lives a better place to live. Doreen's PSW, who visits twice a week, has brought her a long ways over 6 months.
Thank you for reading along. Abba.
Hello. I’m also from Canada, and my mother has Alzheimer’s. Is there any chance Doreen could receive more PSW visits? My parents have 3 a day, and it helps immeasurably. Her daughter would most likely need to push for that, but she doesn’t sound too proactive. Thank goodness Doreen has you for a friend.

My father books a mobile hairdresser/esthetician every few months for my mom. Improves her spirits a lot.