Blackouts.

Spencer W.

May 2, 2022
Hi.Im a carer for my mum who has mixed dementia (Alzheimer's and vascular)and one thing which I can get no help with understanding is the blackouts she takes.Last year she has had 12 episodes where the blood drains from her face,blood pressure/oxygen levels/pulse rate and temperature all drops.After a few minutes she starts to come out of it,but will be in bed for a day or so to recover.She was admitted to hospital in March with COVID and September with pneumonia where she had 3 episodes and two episodes respectively, doctors/consultant present when these happened.The medical professionals didn't have a clue as to why,mum was sent home and I was told take care.Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @Spencer W.

My dad had episodes when he was passing out and no cause could be found until I happened to be with him one day and witnessed him misusing his meds. He had a spray for under his tongue which he was supposed to spray once to lower his blood pressure but he just kept spraying and managed about 5 sprays before I got to him to stop him!

On another occasion he took his blood pressure pills twice in the morning - with similar results..

Is it possible that your mum may be doing something similar?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I discovered that OH was double dosing on his blood thinners (clopidogrel) and was passing out when he stood up as his blood pressure was so low. It is the reason that I took over sorting out his medication

Spencer W.

May 2, 2022
I discovered that OH was double dosing on his blood thinners (clopidogrel) and was passing out when he stood up as his blood pressure was so low. It is the reason that I took over sorting out his medication
Many thanks for your reply and I'm glad you got to the bottom of your problem.I look after her medication (sorting and giving)and the nurses were in charge of it when in hospital so unfortunately I have to rule that out.I think it's repeated Tia's she's having,the frequency and no obvious triggers are what was baffling/concerning me.Thanks again and take care.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
My mother has had one
Episode recently when she was unresponsive for about 20mins. The thoughts are it was a Tia.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Many thanks for your reply and I'm glad you got to the bottom of your problem.I look after her medication (sorting and giving)and the nurses were in charge of it when in hospital so unfortunately I have to rule that out.I think it's repeated Tia's she's having,the frequency and no obvious triggers are what was baffling/concerning me.Thanks again and take care.
I hope you get to the bottom of it
xx