Bed bound and sleeping most of the time

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Hi. Don't know what you can say, but I feel as if I'm in limbo with mum and the care staff are very vague as to whether mum it at eol stage or not. Perhaps you can let me know what you think please. It's such a torment not to know what is happening.

Mum is in a lovely care home and has been very happy there. She has been doubly incontinent for a few years. Up until 3 weeks ago, she was always in the residents lounge during the day and enjoyed watching what was going on, even though she was unable physically or mentally to participate in anything. She needed to be hoisted into the lounge as unable to walk or stand unaided. Mum seems very settled and content but it is not possible to have a conversation with her, however, she seems to enjoy us chatting away to her (or maybe we're telling ourselves that as we want her to be happy?). She has been deteriorating this last year and is no longer able to feed herself or join in any activities (like colouring or reading). Mum has been put on NHS Fast Track (continuing healthcare funding) twice this year as they thought she had reached eol. Thankfully, mum rallied and both times the Fast Track was removed, understandably.

The most recent change is that mum has been in bed for the last three weeks. She sleeps most of the time, day and night, but does eat porridge and a few other tit bits when the staff wake her up to feed her. Within 5 minutes, she falls fast asleep again. Having said this, she has lost a lot of weight recently and is now very frail and weak. She is unable to sit in a chair as she flops forward or leans over to the side, which is uncomfortable and dangerous. She is very weak and unable to hold a cup even with help. She has no coordination, so wouldn't be able to use a spoon to feed herself. This morning it took me 30 minutes to wake her up. I persisted as she needed to take her medication. The staff say she is too weak to even sit in a chair for a short time, but won't say if they think she will always be bedridden. I feel that she is not able to rebuild strength laying in bed, so have accepted that it's likely she will not get up again. Family visit mum 5 times a week, but once the visitor has left the room, within 2 mins she has no recollection that she has seen that person.

Mum was supposed to have an 'assessment' by the local nurse team last week. She had developed a small crackle on her lung and was very unwell. She was given antibiotics and the nurse team said they would reassess her state of health later last week, but have been too busy to call at the care home to see her since. The staff said they'll come this week. Mum has improved a little since the antibiotics, but is as sleepy and frail as ever. She has developed a very sore bum which the nurses were supposed to be looking at today - I have heard nothing yet.

It's all such a waiting game, filled with uncertainty.

Sorry for the long post, but it helps to talk to people who understand.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @vaana
It is indeed

Your mum is obviously coming to the end of her life, but, unfortunately, there is no knowing when it will happen.
Eventually your mum will refuse food and drink and then pass into a semiconcious state, which will likely be the signal that the end is coming and there will be other signs that the staff will recognise too.
Dont burn yourself out during this waiting period
xxx

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Thank you Canary. As shes still eating I hope we have a little more time. I'll watch out for the refusal of food now.

Soupey

Mar 25, 2017
Hertfordshire
This is a difficult stage and unfortunately it seems that it can be relatively short or can be very drawn out - thinking of you.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
How you describe your mum sounds a lot like how mine is too but my mum has been in this state for a few months. Twice we’ve been told to prepare for the worst (most recently only on Sunday) but both times she seems to have rallied and improved. I share your frustration at not knowing what to expect, it’s so hard to know what to think or feel. I think people only give you vague answers because they don’t know the answer themselves. They don’t want to tell you everything’s fine when it very suddenly might not be or the opposite.

Jjrog62

Nov 18, 2020
Orléans
The stories above seem very similar to mine. My mom has had dementia for almost 10 years now. Starting about 4 months ago she started to eat very little and was in bed almost 24 hours each day. She had back problems all her life and seemed to be having greater trouble moving and staying upright in bed. She never complained, ever. We finally got an ambulance to take her to the hospital and we found out she had fractured 5 vertebrae. Me and my father at 89 and me at 61 where her caregivers. My father who was totally healthy suddenly passed away about 6 weeks ago. I ask the Doctors ,nurses and the other staff taking care of her about how long someone in her condition might life.
You can go anywhere on the net and get a good idea of the stages and life expectancy of dementia but the people who we rely on for answers will never give you a straight answer. I am struggling so hard now being alone with my mom. I though it was difficult before but now I'm not sure if I will always get through each day. It's funny the one thing that with my mom having little memory and so frail her personality keeps shining through. I'm just wondering if this is normal that even with all they loose, do they ever really loose who they are.
I apologize for going on and on but I am truly so lost and alone .

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
The stories above seem very similar to mine. My mom has had dementia for almost 10 years now. Starting about 4 months ago she started to eat very little and was in bed almost 24 hours each day. She had back problems all her life and seemed to be having greater trouble moving and staying upright in bed. She never complained, ever. We finally got an ambulance to take her to the hospital and we found out she had fractured 5 vertebrae. Me and my father at 89 and me at 61 where her caregivers. My father who was totally healthy suddenly passed away about 6 weeks ago. I ask the Doctors ,nurses and the other staff taking care of her about how long someone in her condition might life.
You can go anywhere on the net and get a good idea of the stages and life expectancy of dementia but the people who we rely on for answers will never give you a straight answer. I am struggling so hard now being alone with my mom. I though it was difficult before but now I'm not sure if I will always get through each day. It's funny the one thing that with my mom having little memory and so frail her personality keeps shining through. I'm just wondering if this is normal that even with all they loose, do they ever really loose who they are.
@Jjrog62 there is no need to apologize for going on and on. This forum is the right place for you to express your feelings. Many of us can relate to how you feel because we are in similar situations. It is very difficult for anyone to predict when our loved ones are about to reach the end. My own mum is clearly coming to the end of her life and has been at the brink on 3 occasions during the last couple of years, but has rallied each time. It's hard to understand how someone so frail and pitiful has the strength to survive on so little for so long.

I have also noticed tiny glimpses of mum's personality shining through the fog of frailty and memory loss. A couple of days ago, I was visiting mum when I became aware that her agitation levels were beginning to rise. In an attempt to distract her, I found a YouTube video on my phone of children singing the carol 'Away in a Manger' (this was a carol mum and myself used to enjoy singing together when I was a child). As mum became aware of the music, she went very quiet, looked directly at me with tears in her eyes and said 'I love you'. Most of the time, mum doesn't appear to know who I am and is often verbally abusive, but on that occasion when she heard the carol, she knew it was me.

I hope that you are able to enjoy a peaceful Christmas xx

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Im so sorry to read about your situation and so sorry about your father as well. Are you living with your mum? It must be a huge shock to go from that support with your dad and then being on your own. If you can, get some extra support from carers or whatever you can.

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
How you describe your mum sounds a lot like how mine is too but my mum has been in this state for a few months. Twice we’ve been told to prepare for the worst (most recently only on Sunday) but both times she seems to have rallied and improved. I share your frustration at not knowing what to expect, it’s so hard to know what to think or feel. I think people only give you vague answers because they don’t know the answer themselves. They don’t want to tell you everything’s fine when it very suddenly might not be or the opposite

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I'm sure you're right - no one knows how long 'stages' of dementia last. But that doesn't make it any easier does it. I guess we're all in the same boat and it's so helpful to get support and understanding on the forum

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
@Jjrog62 there is no need to apologize for going on and on. This forum is the right place for you to express your feelings. Many of us can relate to how you feel because we are in similar situations. It is very difficult for anyone to predict when our loved ones are about to reach the end. My own mum is clearly coming to the end of her life and has been at the brink on 3 occasions during the last couple of years, but has rallied each time. It's hard to understand how someone so frail and pitiful has the strength to survive on so little for so long.

I have also noticed tiny glimpses of mum's personality shining through the fog of frailty and memory loss. A couple of days ago, I was visiting mum when I became aware that her agitation levels were beginning to rise. In an attempt to distract her, I found a YouTube video on my phone of children singing the carol 'Away in a Manger' (this was a carol mum and myself used to enjoy singing together when I was a child). As mum became aware of the music, she went very quiet, looked directly at me with tears in her eyes and said 'I love you'. Most of the time, mum doesn't appear to know who I am and is often verbally abusive, but on that occasion when she heard the carol, she knew it was me.

I hope that you are able to enjoy a peaceful Christmas xx
How lovely to be able to share a beautiful memory with your mum and be with 'her' again, if even for a short time x

audy

Dec 16, 2023
Hi. Don't know what you can say, but I feel as if I'm in limbo with mum and the care staff are very vague as to whether mum it at eol stage or not. Perhaps you can let me know what you think please. It's such a torment not to know what is happening.

Mum is in a lovely care home and has been very happy there. She has been doubly incontinent for a few years. Up until 3 weeks ago, she was always in the residents lounge during the day and enjoyed watching what was going on, even though she was unable physically or mentally to participate in anything. She needed to be hoisted into the lounge as unable to walk or stand unaided. Mum seems very settled and content but it is not possible to have a conversation with her, however, she seems to enjoy us chatting away to her (or maybe we're telling ourselves that as we want her to be happy?). She has been deteriorating this last year and is no longer able to feed herself or join in any activities (like colouring or reading). Mum has been put on NHS Fast Track (continuing healthcare funding) twice this year as they thought she had reached eol. Thankfully, mum rallied and both times the Fast Track was removed, understandably.

The most recent change is that mum has been in bed for the last three weeks. She sleeps most of the time, day and night, but does eat porridge and a few other tit bits when the staff wake her up to feed her. Within 5 minutes, she falls fast asleep again. Having said this, she has lost a lot of weight recently and is now very frail and weak. She is unable to sit in a chair as she flops forward or leans over to the side, which is uncomfortable and dangerous. She is very weak and unable to hold a cup even with help. She has no coordination, so wouldn't be able to use a spoon to feed herself. This morning it took me 30 minutes to wake her up. I persisted as she needed to take her medication. The staff say she is too weak to even sit in a chair for a short time, but won't say if they think she will always be bedridden. I feel that she is not able to rebuild strength laying in bed, so have accepted that it's likely she will not get up again. Family visit mum 5 times a week, but once the visitor has left the room, within 2 mins she has no recollection that she has seen that person.

Mum was supposed to have an 'assessment' by the local nurse team last week. She had developed a small crackle on her lung and was very unwell. She was given antibiotics and the nurse team said they would reassess her state of health later last week, but have been too busy to call at the care home to see her since. The staff said they'll come this week. Mum has improved a little since the antibiotics, but is as sleepy and frail as ever. She has developed a very sore bum which the nurses were supposed to be looking at today - I have heard nothing yet.

Sorry for the long post, but it helps to talk to people who understand.
So sorry to hear about your Mum -my partner is in a nursing home and has Parkinsons and has just lately become bedridden -he has also shown signs of Sundowning and speech is lost -he has at the moment a good appetite and drinks with help -he cannot grip anything and is always asleep when I visit and soon after eating or drinking (he also has Porridge) he is on anti biotics too and I too hope for him to rally around-I am in the same position as you (as in How long is a peace of string)He has lost weight and looks so frail now all I can hope for is when he goes he will go in his sleep peacefully.? It is as you said a waiting game with only saddness for us I am afraid -Love and strength to you( a friend).

mhw

Apr 4, 2024
Hi just read your original post on this thread and my mum is at this stage now. Find myself wondering if I have days weeks or months. U like you though I'm hoping for her sake it's days.
I hope you had enough time x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenv