Bad Episode Starting

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I suppose this is a rant really but I know some of you will come up with suggestions of how to deal with these "episodes".

Buckle in as this might be a long one!

I'm a regular on here that tends to offer advice or an ear, I have asked questions and have had some really good responses and so much love.

When I read through what some people are going through with their loved ones I feel like I have impostor syndrome. My dad lives independently, he is clean, he relies on us for shopping and sorting his drugs, checking the banks and things that are technically complicated (for him).

We can now spot when he is about to have a "bad episode", when the red mist comes down or when he feels like he can talk to us like poo.

So on Sunday we picked him up for lunch and I just knew that the face was stiff and he was clenching his jaw, but I thought we are meeting family today so he will hostess and maybe it will pass............oh how wrong I was.

He was quiet in the car on the way home and we made arrangements to go to our ADSG coffee morning on Monday. Again, I picked him up and he had that clenched jaw look.

It turns out that he has told one of the ladies there that he HAS to work to make sure MY bills are paid. Now, she knows he has dementia but what about the people that don't know, that he is saying these things to?

Normally I wouldn't "challenge" him on these things, but I thought I would see what his response was, in my softest voice (because that works best with him), I said "the lady that does the coffee said something funny today, she asked me what job you did?" I didn't mention him paying MY bills just about his work. He completely went off topic and started talking about another lady that had been sitting with him. Like a child caught with their hand in the candy jar.

Then (sorry still ranting), this morning he would normally go to an Age Care Group, he called and said he didn't feel well and he had a pain in the chest. Of course we went straight there and called the emergency dr. They came out and said that he is fine but he has a bad cough and his lungs are clear but they have given him an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory.

As soon as the dr left and my husband went to the chemist my dad started talking about getting a job. All I had said was I think we need to get the cleaner in every week rather than fortnightly, he stormed off up the stairs saying "well I have to consider my work and how much I can afford (there is no shortage of money). I tried to talk to him about it but he was already upstairs and I didn't want to have one of those conversations when you can't look at each other.

He then came down after his shower and said that he would have to have a word with the cleaner as she was using all his deodorant and shower gel! No she doesn't! I couldn't keep my mouth shut, I know I was wrong, I know I shouldn't bite. It just really rubbed me today. Then he gives me the face and the "oh ok!" in that really nasty voice.

He is so ungrateful, he is so critical. I sat there sorting all the drugs into his dossette box, cleared up, mopped and swept, explained everything to him and he just stood there looking at me like I was poo on his shoe.

There off my chest, shoulders have slightly gone back to their normal position. Head is clearing.

Thank you to any poor soul that got to the end of this rant! Thank you for the virtual loves and hugs that I know we all share.

Tomorrow is our normal lunch day with dad and I am dreading it already.........that can't be right can it?

Jxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear @JoannePat.

This is how dementia progresses in many and all you can do is `go with the flow`.

If you can, try to go along with everything your dad says and does as long as it`s within the realms of safety. That is a big ask I know but you are finding out discussion does not work at this level and the only person you are hurting is yourself.

You`ve been on the forum a while but i`m not sure whether or not you`ve seen the thread about compassionate communication.

Here is is again just in case.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Oh @JoannePat I have just unbuckled after the ride! Hope it helped to share. No it’s not right to dread seeing your dad, but you’re not seeing your real dad are you, but an imposter created by dementia. Hopefully he will have forgotten all about it and you can start again. The trouble is, you can’t forget and it’s a real challenge to gloss over things, pick yourself up and start again. But you will. Sending you a warm hug

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I suppose this is a rant really but I know some of you will come up with suggestions of how to deal with these "episodes".

Buckle in as this might be a long one!

I'm a regular on here that tends to offer advice or an ear, I have asked questions and have had some really good responses and so much love.

When I read through what some people are going through with their loved ones I feel like I have impostor syndrome. My dad lives independently, he is clean, he relies on us for shopping and sorting his drugs, checking the banks and things that are technically complicated (for him).

We can now spot when he is about to have a "bad episode", when the red mist comes down or when he feels like he can talk to us like poo.

So on Sunday we picked him up for lunch and I just knew that the face was stiff and he was clenching his jaw, but I thought we are meeting family today so he will hostess and maybe it will pass............oh how wrong I was.

He was quiet in the car on the way home and we made arrangements to go to our ADSG coffee morning on Monday. Again, I picked him up and he had that clenched jaw look.

It turns out that he has told one of the ladies there that he HAS to work to make sure MY bills are paid. Now, she knows he has dementia but what about the people that don't know, that he is saying these things to?

Normally I wouldn't "challenge" him on these things, but I thought I would see what his response was, in my softest voice (because that works best with him), I said "the lady that does the coffee said something funny today, she asked me what job you did?" I didn't mention him paying MY bills just about his work. He completely went off topic and started talking about another lady that had been sitting with him. Like a child caught with their hand in the candy jar.

Then (sorry still ranting), this morning he would normally go to an Age Care Group, he called and said he didn't feel well and he had a pain in the chest. Of course we went straight there and called the emergency dr. They came out and said that he is fine but he has a bad cough and his lungs are clear but they have given him an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory.

As soon as the dr left and my husband went to the chemist my dad started talking about getting a job. All I had said was I think we need to get the cleaner in every week rather than fortnightly, he stormed off up the stairs saying "well I have to consider my work and how much I can afford (there is no shortage of money). I tried to talk to him about it but he was already upstairs and I didn't want to have one of those conversations when you can't look at each other.

He then came down after his shower and said that he would have to have a word with the cleaner as she was using all his deodorant and shower gel! No she doesn't! I couldn't keep my mouth shut, I know I was wrong, I know I shouldn't bite. It just really rubbed me today. Then he gives me the face and the "oh ok!" in that really nasty voice.

He is so ungrateful, he is so critical. I sat there sorting all the drugs into his dossette box, cleared up, mopped and swept, explained everything to him and he just stood there looking at me like I was poo on his shoe.

There off my chest, shoulders have slightly gone back to their normal position. Head is clearing.

Thank you to any poor soul that got to the end of this rant! Thank you for the virtual loves and hugs that I know we all share.

Tomorrow is our normal lunch day with dad and I am dreading it already.........that can't be right can it?

Jxx
all i can say is good luck. as you have seen him socially more often being a bank holiday, is it worth leaving the lunch? could he be tired and needing some time for himself? could you go with your husband for lunch and enjoy some time together? just suggestions. its hard when they are fixed on an idea.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Reading all your kind words has brought a really big tear to my eye. Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to respond.

I suppose I am a little on edge because of him and because of my "real" life - WORK!

Thank you @Grannie G I will read that link. I know sometimes its common sense that seems to go out of the window when i feel like this.

Yes @DeeCee7 you are right I am not seeing my dad but this dementiad impostor. Such a sad figure he is.

An do you know what @jennifer1967 you might be right! Maybe we should take a lunch for ourselves tomorrow. We actually spend little time "together".

Again thank you to all

xxx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I hope today has been better @JoannePat

I well remember the feeling of dread when visiting my dad - not knowing what to expect - so I always made sure I could make a quick exit after checking he was ok. Sometimes it did neither of us any good to be together but other times he was lovely. Play it by ear!

Sphynx

Oct 19, 2020
My sister had this issue when my mum was further back in her dementia journey. She would get really upset and frustrated and I can see how difficult it is, but honestly, that’s the disease taking, not your dad. Mood changes, disordered thinking (someone using his toiletries) and that snappiness is just the progression of his disease. It’s very hard, but try and see it as something your dad can’t control (he can’t) and if he is anything like my mum he would be mortified to realise that he was being rude or difficult. It’s a state of the dementia, not an attack on you or anything you are doing. Promise.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Again, thank you all so much for your kind words and support. Today I had a complete meltdown. Its really upsetting seeing him like this and hearing the things he says about me and my husband, how we are stealing things etc.

I am in contact with my local ADSG and they are putting in some support for us. We are going to have someone going in to take him shopping etc and see how we go from here.

Jxx