Are you interested in giving your time to support Dementia Support Forum?

JoeOk

Staff Member
Mar 29, 2021
A warm welcome and a safe space is vital to keep Dementia Support Forum running smoothly. If you’re interested in finding out how you can be a part of making that happen, read on!

The DSF community has over 80,000 members who come together to share their experiences and support each other. When people first join it can be a daunting experience so it’s important that people receive a warm welcome. As many members can face difficult times, it’s important that they receive support and are directed to helpful resources.

We are currently looking for new people to join as Volunteer Hosts. Thanks for our incredible team of volunteers and a small staff team, we keep the DSF community running smoothly and ensure people receive support. Are you interested in joining us?

Our Volunteer Hosts support DSF by welcoming new members, directing other people to helpful information, and explaining how to carry out basic tasks to community members.

To undertake the role: you would need to give around five hours of time each week, be an active member, and ideally attend in-person and online team meetings (two of each per year). You will receive full training and support to do the role.

New to the community? Newer members can apply to volunteer with us if they’re familiar and active in the community, as several of our volunteers over the years have been new, enthusiastic and active community members.

We would like to increase the diversity of the team, so would particularly welcome applicants from:

· People with dementia

· People who identify as Black or a person of colour

· People who identify as LGBTQ+

· Male users of the forum

However, others are of course also very welcome to apply.

If you are interested in applying or have any questions, please let us know by emailing dementiasupportforum@alzheimers.org.uk

Last edited by a moderator:

Bordeauxbleu

Apr 16, 2020
I would be delighted to help in any way possible. I am English and live in France but visit my family in London several times a year.
I have personal experience of dementia as my mother had increasing Alzheimer for some years before she died in a Care Home in 2020 aged 99. I used to visit her once a month there and before that in her flat. For the last year, or so, she could not recognise me.

Regards,
R.M.

Last edited by a moderator:

ASPIRE

Jan 9, 2014
cambridge
I would like to help. My wife had Alzheimers for many years. She went through so many changes in this period . As my wifes carer I had to deal with these changes as best as l could. You learn as you go along with this.
I looked after her for a start until l could,nt Then she was sectioned then Put into various care homes (4) the first 3 could not look after her ( too violent at times ) the last one was 30 miles away and l visited her 2\3 times a week to see her and also to keep an eye how she was being looked after. After 2 years in the last care home she died from pneumonia.