Another week from hell!

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
The twists and turns of this mind altering thing they call dementia is now ripping me apart. I am absolutely at the end of my rope with all of it and as much as I want to step back from my dad I know that this would leave him in an unsafe place.

As he has become progressively worse (as we come to expect with dementia) he is now only eating when presented with food, very rarely drinks and we have now noticed that this once very pristine and proud man is maybe not showering as often as he should. I also suspect that he is not using the washing machine properly, if at all.

Last week we sat down with him and discussed the possibility of him going to a care home. He agreed. It is the same place that my mum was, so he knew the staff, the layout, we reminded him how lovely the food is, there are no stairs for him to worry about, no laundry to concern himself with, three good meals a day, blah blah blah. Great!

A couple of days before he was going, I started putting a few things together for him (and with him) asking which pyjamas etc etc. He has commented in the past that I takeover all the situations so I made sure to include him in what went in the bag.

On Wednesday night I got a fraught phone call from relatives that live in a different country, saying that I was making him go into a care home, I had made him sign committal papers, he didn't want to go and he wanted a carer at home. Even after explaining everything I felt they didn't believe me. At that point I didn't care.......this was the start of my rope ending.

To finally get off the phone at 10pm and discover I had messages from a local volunteer who helps out at one of his social groups. My dad had been calling around members telling them basically that i had put a gun to his head to get him into a home.

I'm not going to lie the red mist had completely come down and I had to deal with it there and then. I called my dad who denied (as I knew he would) saying anything bad about me, he said that he was just calling around telling people that he would be going into a home.

By now it was getting close to midnight and although I knew there wouldn't be much sleep I wanted to make sure I got some as we were taking him into the CH the next morning.

If I told you everything that happened yesterday morning you would be still reading this at Christmas!

Basically, he continued to deny it. He told us he wasn't going to the CH, he doesn't want a carer (which he had told a family member that's what he wanted). He threw me out and said he would only speak to my husband, he said some vile and extremely hurtful things.

I know its all part of the dementia, but (like a few of you on here) I haven't had the best relationship with him over the years and there is actually a fine line between "him" and the "dementia".

Within an hour of leaving he was back on the phone about food, again he had also contacted the local volunteer saying he wanted her to bring him a takeaway. I got him a taxi to the local cafe (they know him and I knew someone would bring him home).

The telephone terror continued until 10.45 last night.

The telephone terror has already started this morning.

I am trying to step back to make him realise the help he does need, I am trying to step back for my own sanity, I can't step back too far because I suspect that this is heading towards late stages of this awful illness.

I have arranged for a care worker to visit him on Monday (I won't be part of the meeting). Hopefully we can get some care into place that he is accepting of. If he doesn't then what?

So basically you have listened to my rant, which as ever I am so incredibly grateful for and my question is:

If he doesn't accept the care what do I do?

And even before i am able to sign off he is on the phone again (number 5).

So wish me luck and thank you for being here!

XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Too much discussion @JoannePat

Just continue to make the arrangements and don`t discuss with anyone.

If the relatives abroad contact you again, tell them they can come here and take over.

Pack for your dad without asking.

When the care worker comes, ask if you can have any support to take your dad into residential care.

Good luck.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
What a frustrating situation @JoannePat. I can see that relatives abroad that don't see your dad often might believe him, but I hope the volunteers would be supportive of you, even if they say non-committal things to your dad. One of the carers in mum's first care home when mum was sounding off about me 'putting' her in care used to talk to mum about how she loved and trusted me and she had to accept I wouldn't do anything to hurt her. Mum would then agree and the crisis would be over for a little while.
I agree with @Grannie G , just go ahead and move your dad into care. Yes he'll probably spend a lot of time being cross with you, but you'll know that he is safe. I don't think you are in the UK are you? Certainly here the DoLS procedure would assess if your dad has the capacity to make his own decisions about where he lives.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you so much for both reading and taking the time to respond.

It always means so much.

You are right @Sarasa we are not in the UK and so it is very difficult to get assessments etc. All of the things we are trying to put into place are self funding.

I am sure there will be an update from me soon,

Jxx

archie28

May 16, 2024
The twists and turns of this mind altering thing they call dementia is now ripping me apart. I am absolutely at the end of my rope with all of it and as much as I want to step back from my dad I know that this would leave him in an unsafe place.

As he has become progressively worse (as we come to expect with dementia) he is now only eating when presented with food, very rarely drinks and we have now noticed that this once very pristine and proud man is maybe not showering as often as he should. I also suspect that he is not using the washing machine properly, if at all.

Last week we sat down with him and discussed the possibility of him going to a care home. He agreed. It is the same place that my mum was, so he knew the staff, the layout, we reminded him how lovely the food is, there are no stairs for him to worry about, no laundry to concern himself with, three good meals a day, blah blah blah. Great!

A couple of days before he was going, I started putting a few things together for him (and with him) asking which pyjamas etc etc. He has commented in the past that I takeover all the situations so I made sure to include him in what went in the bag.

On Wednesday night I got a fraught phone call from relatives that live in a different country, saying that I was making him go into a care home, I had made him sign committal papers, he didn't want to go and he wanted a carer at home. Even after explaining everything I felt they didn't believe me. At that point I didn't care.......this was the start of my rope ending.

To finally get off the phone at 10pm and discover I had messages from a local volunteer who helps out at one of his social groups. My dad had been calling around members telling them basically that i had put a gun to his head to get him into a home.

I'm not going to lie the red mist had completely come down and I had to deal with it there and then. I called my dad who denied (as I knew he would) saying anything bad about me, he said that he was just calling around telling people that he would be going into a home.

By now it was getting close to midnight and although I knew there wouldn't be much sleep I wanted to make sure I got some as we were taking him into the CH the next morning.

If I told you everything that happened yesterday morning you would be still reading this at Christmas!

Basically, he continued to deny it. He told us he wasn't going to the CH, he doesn't want a carer (which he had told a family member that's what he wanted). He threw me out and said he would only speak to my husband, he said some vile and extremely hurtful things.

I know its all part of the dementia, but (like a few of you on here) I haven't had the best relationship with him over the years and there is actually a fine line between "him" and the "dementia".

Within an hour of leaving he was back on the phone about food, again he had also contacted the local volunteer saying he wanted her to bring him a takeaway. I got him a taxi to the local cafe (they know him and I knew someone would bring him home).

I am trying to step back to make him realise the help he does need, I am trying to step back for my own sanity, I can't step back too far because I suspect that this is heading towards late stages of this awful illness.

I have arranged for a care worker to visit him on Monday (I won't be part of the meeting). Hopefully we can get some care into place that he is accepting of. If he doesn't then what?

So basically you have listened to my rant, which as ever I am so incredibly grateful for and my question is:

XX

I feel for you and totally understand where you're coming from, although I didn't have the relatives from abroad to deal with.
My dad was exactly the same, I eventually got him to agree to go into a home for respite (a holiday). I had tried everything to keep him at home, but he just wasn't safe.
I had to just quickly pack a few things out of his sight and it was so hard taking him out of his home, but it was the best thing for him.
He has now been in the home for 2 years and I can't say it hasn't all been plain sailing but I know he's safe and well cared for.
You sound just like I was, and I literally would jump when the phone rang again and again.
I'm sending you a hug and best wishes keep going. Dementia is so cruel.
dad is in the later stages of his journey and that is very challenging, but we have to be their voice and keep going.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @JoannePat,

Yes I've been through this as well and here are my suggestions. Keep packing your dad's bags and get some of them to the care home and unpack before he moves in. Do not tell him that he is going to a care home. Tell a few love lies, we are going to see friends, appointments etc.. Do not argue with your dad because you won't win explain the dementia to your relatives and your dad's friends and if they disagree then tell them to come and do their bit. I still remember the conversation I had with an invisible after I put dad in the care home after I had kept them updated. Dad was in the home on respite and I phoned this invisible to say that his stay was now permanent and I did this before going to an orchestra rehearsal. I ended up putting the phone down on him and the rehearsal took my mind off everything. After dad went in permanently I felt very very sad but also very relieved.

Another tip is do not communicate with invisibles after 10.00 pm at night!

MaNaAk

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you all so much for your responses. Finally my dad has been in the CH for 9 days. Its been a very hard and rough few days for me and him!

His blood pressure took a dive so they are now trying to regulate that and told he had a tumble. Apparently he doesn't like the walker they have given him.

Its all fingers crossed at the moment that he settles.

Sending hugs to all

x

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England

XX
Your Dad knows he needs care. He may feel ashamed, embarrassed, infantilised and undignified by this, as he isn't coping like an adult would. So he's blaming the one person he can trust not to retaliate. That's you. You're doing your best. He knows his best efforts are not enough. Blame the dementia, try to swallow your anger and vent on this forum or in a daily diary. You might find there comes a time where you can express to Dad that the situation is not what any of you wanted but we sometimes have to feel the fear and do it anyway. It's very hard on you

Last edited:

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
Well done, this is really tough. You are doing right by your Dad (despite his best efforts).

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
You have done the right thing and you know in your heart that you have but it is an absolutely excrutiating journey. I think the trouble is the PWD actually does understand on some level about their lack of capacity so the fight doing somewhere where it will be noticed and documented.
My husband has been in a Dementia home for many months and is high functioning so most people think he could manage at home. The night staff have completely different views as he is up much of the night, very aggressive and difficult.
There are no accolades or gratitude for any of us we just endure. I hope the home control his phone use so you can get some rest.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I just want to say thank you all so much for your support through this time. It has been so difficult and all of my time has been taken up with dealing with daily life and making sure that my dad settles.

I saw him yesterday and he really has declined, his speech is slurring, his blood pressure is still low (although stabilising), his ankles are swollen and he is sleepy.

I miss him so much, he was so much of my daily routine, even though I moaned and groaned about the calls and tantrums and aggression, I miss it.

We didn't leave his phone with him but the CH is happy for me to call and talk to him anytime. He struggles on the phone and now it seems paranoia is setting in.

Even yesterday at our visit he wouldn't talk until he knew that the carer had left.

I didn't witness any of this with my mum as she lost her speech quite early on - vascular dementia.

I'm just feeling really low today, I'm sorry

XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You have nothing to apologise for @JoannePat

Just because your dad is in residential care, doesn't mean your problems are over.

It`s soul destroying, seeing the deterioration, watching the paranoid fear and being unable to do anything about it.

It sounds cruel to say but I hope the progression will eventually mean he is less aware of his situation and will be able to be calm. Then your visits will improve. You will be able to sit and hold his hand and know he is comforted by your presence.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Totally agree with all Grannie G says.

Know this also he didn’t decline because he entered a home. He entered a home because he was declining.

Big D sucks. Nothing you did or didn’t do

xx