Aggression and refusing help

mully

Feb 3, 2024
My sister is 58 will be 59 in Aug and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's with early onset at 56. I came to live with her Augusr 2022. She has developed really bad aggression, obsession with cleaning the kitchen tops and refusing help from the carers. Refusing to go to her day club. Together Dementia friendship group is unable to cope with her so no longer goes.
She is verbally aggressive with the carers who have known her a long time and they are shocked and have never seen this with her before. but I get the brunt of it. she throws thing at me and rages around the house slamming doors and screaming at me what she is going to do to me, Its like a red mist comes down. Then she walks about the house crying, and if i attempt to console her she screams at me to leave her alone. I now have a safety order in situ. Never thought it would come to this. Her two sons are very supportive, and have seen the changes in their mum.

I have read all the advice about how to talk and using the right words. We know some of her trigger words, I know when to give her, her pain killers and here knee gel, as she has osteoarthritis.. I don't tell her what she needs to do, I asked would she like to do something or does she think it would be a good idea.

My Admiral Nurse has put a safe guarding after she slammed the door in my face and is pushing me. Up to now have managed to land on the settee.
She is on medication Sertraline 100mg and Rivastigmine 9.5 mg patch prescribed by her Consultant

We wanted to rule out a urine infection which we did. All samples sent for testing all came back negative. Treated for cystitis by me. I am at my whit's end as how to go about handle this. Its like walking on egg shells. this has been getting worse from March. I asked my Admiral Nurse about her progressing, and told me early onset does progress quicker. I videoed an episode to show her sons and were shocked.
Sorry to go on. HELP

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @mully.

That is a very difficult situation and I wonder if the experts on the support line may be of help as they are very good.

Just click the following link for details