Young Carer

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Hello,
I am an 18 year old girl and my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's three years ago at 56 years old. I'd love to talk to someone who is perhaps the same age as me and in a similar situation? I have lots of good friends around me who are willing to support me but I just don't feel that anyone understands what it's like until they are living with it on a daily basis.

Thanks,
Eleanor

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.
I am sure you will get support here if you post about any special problems, whether practical or emotional. You will find that many of our members are older but will want to offer as much advice from their own experiences. We do have some members in your age group but they tend not to be here so frequently. I hope that does not deter you and please keep posting so that other young people can see you there.

To avoid confusion I suggest that you keep your posts in this one area.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Eleanor

Welcome from me too. I am similar age to your Dad and have had symptoms for 5 years now. I have nieces and nephews your age and would be interested to read your posts.

Maybe, the Administrators may consider a forum specifically for younger carers like yourself as often people post just as you have and it must be quite had to locate specific posts.

Best wishes
Sue

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Maybe, the Administrators may consider a forum specifically for younger carers like yourself as often people post just as you have and it must be quite had to locate specific posts.

I fully understand your comments, Sue. This has been discussed at length in the past and sadly it is not as simple to administer as one thinks. There is a young carers site which is useful for early teens but not ideal for the 16 - 30 year olds (or thereabouts).
http://www.youngcarers.net/

Edited to add:
If I see other young carers online I am happy to highlight other young members, especially those who have just joined as EleanorRoss.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I fully understand your comments, Sue. This has been discussed at length in the past and sadly it is not as simple to administer as one thinks. There is a young carers site which is useful for early teens but not ideal for the 16 - 30 year olds (or thereabouts).
http://www.youngcarers.net/

Thanks Beckyjan, I presume it is because of implications for younger people?There are often over 18s early 20s people who post yet they are in the minority, their needs are just as valid, I'm sure you agree. I'm not making a criticism but just seeing a need, shame it can't be administered.:)

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Hi Eleanor

Welcome from me too. I am similar age to your Dad and have had symptoms for 5 years now. I have nieces and nephews your age and would be interested to read your posts.

Best wishes
Sue

Hi Sue,
I'd love if they read my posts. It would be nice to talk to people that are a lot younger than most carers. It's good to know that I'm not the only 18 year old that has a young parent/relative with this disease. Yeah I do find it hard to contact people my age that are in similar situations. I rang my local Alzheimer's association a few months ago and asked if they could tell me if there were any other young carers I could talk to but unfortunately they were unable to give to names/numbers or any information really.

Eleanor

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.
I am sure you will get support here if you post about any special problems, whether practical or emotional. You will find that many of our members are older but will want to offer as much advice from their own experiences. We do have some members in your age group but they tend not to be here so frequently. I hope that does not deter you and please keep posting so that other young people can see you there.

To avoid confusion I suggest that you keep your posts in this one area.

Hi BeckyJan,

That would be great, any advice is good advice. Yeah I am finding it hard to get in contact with people my age which is a shame. Sometimes I almost feel like I'm the only 18 year old living with a parent with this disease. Although I do have the support of my mum/friends/relatives, I'd just love to know that there is another young person out there that is in the same situation as myself.

Thanks,
Eleanor

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sue,
I'd love if they read my posts. It would be nice to talk to people that are a lot younger than most carers. It's good to know that I'm not the only 18 year old that has a young parent/relative with this disease. Yeah I do find it hard to contact people my age that are in similar situations. I rang my local Alzheimer's association a few months ago and asked if they could tell me if there were any other young carers I could talk to but unfortunately they were unable to give to names/numbers or any information really.

Eleanor

Hi Eleanor

I'm interested in your posts as it must be very hard for you. I want to understand how, if there is anything I can do to help them cope with the changes in me, then I want to.

You can try a search on here maybe include 'university' or 'young carer' which could link you to other posts of those of a similar age to you?

Keep posting though, you will always get support.
love
Sue

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Eleanor

I do hope you find people to converse with of your own age. This forum has kept me on an even keel, and helped me to come to terms with MOH's dementia. I do hope it helps you too, as this condition can be hard to understand at times, but it's a comfort to know that there is always someone to listen and share any problems, and offer advice.

Good luck :)

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Eleanor

I do hope you find people to converse with of your own age. This forum has kept me on an even keel, and helped me to come to terms with MOH's dementia. I do hope it helps you too, as this condition can be hard to understand at times, but it's a comfort to know that there is always someone to listen and share any problems, and offer advice.

Good luck :)

Thank you Bree! I'm so happy I have found this forum and hopefully now I'll find people to talk to about having a parent with this disease. Yeah its not easy. I always feel that no one understands what it is like until they are living and caring for someone with it.

Eleanor x

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello EleanorRoss,welcome..support and understanding from all here in your journey into the world of dementia, someone is always around so please chat away about any problem you are having..glad you have found us.
Take care, and sending a big hug
Chris x

Last edited:

kaza2

Dec 15, 2014
Hello,
I am an 18 year old girl and my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's three years ago at 56 years old. I'd love to talk to someone who is perhaps the same age as me and in a similar situation? I have lots of good friends around me who are willing to support me but I just don't feel that anyone understands what it's like until they are living with it on a daily basis.

Thanks,
Eleanor

Hi Eleanor

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. My husband has early onset too and our two children were 19 and 17 when he was diagnosed. I know it is difficult for young people to deal with this condition in a loved one as you are gradually losing that person you love. It is important to find someone to confide in, even though it may be hard. A school friend, perhaps who you can talk to. You may be pleasantly surprised at who gives you support. Stay strong and don't give up on your own dreams. xx

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Hi Eleanor

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. My husband has early onset too and our two children were 19 and 17 when he was diagnosed. I know it is difficult for young people to deal with this condition in a loved one as you are gradually losing that person you love. It is important to find someone to confide in, even though it may be hard. A school friend, perhaps who you can talk to. You may be pleasantly surprised at who gives you support. Stay strong and don't give up on your own dreams. xx

Hello Kate,

Thank you for the support. Yeah its really hard to lose him mentally but still have to live with him everyday. Sometimes I just dont know how to feel. I just feel like I've lost my dad. It is a lot to deal with along with everything else happening but I know its good to talk to people about it. xx

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Hello EleanorRoss,welcome..support and understanding from all here in your journey into the world of dementia, someone is always around so please chat away about any problem you are having..glad you have found us.
Take care, and sending a big hug
Chris x

Thank you Chris for your support. It is nice to know that there are many people in similar situations to myself. I'm glad I have found Talking Point! x

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi there Eleanor :)

I'm only 23 and I live with and care full time for my grandad in law. I don't no what it's like having a parent with dementia but I fully understand and know how it feels and can sympathise about caring full time for a loved one as will many others on here :) I'm glad you have found TP it has helped me lot and everyone is always very understanding and caring and will try to help if and when they can :) take care x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point