You have to laugh...

sanford99

Account Closed
Aug 2, 2011
Yesterday, I went to visit mum........she in new dementia care orientated care home now. We took her boyfriend ( toyboy, as it happens; but I will tell that story another day); yesterday was about Jennie (names been changed by me, just in case!), wandering into my mum's room when mum wasn't there and complaining she was cold. Mr S was busy hanging up pics so|I suggested Jennie took me to her room and we could get her a cardigan......She looked at me suspiciously but then decided to trust me and took me to her room (oh yea! I checked! It had her name on it!!!|). and so there we were discussing the various cardies she could put on and a carer came in..............I explained I was helping choose a cardie cos Jennie was cold. She got a tad defensive....I said ' all I am saying is she mentioned she was cold and we are getting her a cardie.'........She calmed down and then said ' oh whilst you here could you keep her in her room whilst I get her a cup of tea and some biscuits?? I have not managed to keep her in one place at any one time today??'

Well, what could I say|?? I agreed.........Spent 20 mins keeping Jennie interested and engaged, to the point of helping her into bed and starting to tell her bedtime story. Biscuits and tea arrived but tea too hot for me to feel safe to leave her so I kept her chatting until finally she able to drink tea and then snooze............

I crept out and met carer in hallway....

'Great job' , says the carer 'Now can you see if you as work as well with Joyce?

'Eh?'...I say ( am not the quickest one off the block as they say):confused:

'She next door and complaining you spent too much time with Jennie...It is all very well communicating with one or two, but you have to relate them to them all, that is all I am saying, ........having said that, I think you will do well here.......you have the knack.......well done...':eek:

Honestly, I don't know who was most embarrassed when I 'fessed up I was just a visitor for the grumpy one a few doors down!!:cool:

I was asked if I would like to put my name down for the next round of vacancies....there is not a smiley for shoot me now, is there????????

:D

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
Dont really know what to say to this.
Because you are a nice person and would politely try to assist someone (which Id like to think we all would in the same situation) suddenly alarm bells are ringing that the word will be out amongst the staff that you might be a good volunteer?
Be on your guard......if they are suddenly extra nice to you next time you visit, they may well be buttering you up....:)

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
See, I told you, you are good!!!

Jennie ( but not the one from your visit stalking you for a cardie, although come to mention it, I am a bit chilly round the arms....., so would you mind....? :D:D)

sanford99

Account Closed
Aug 2, 2011
You girls have made me laugh out loud.......

Dread what you will say when tell you about mum and her toyboy.....!;)

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Haha, sounds like my visits to Mum.

Today I had a lady shouting 'Praise the Lord!!' out loud, so I read her some of the book she had in her hands and told her about my family.

A blind gentleman who keeps taking down his trousers in the lounge in front of some very staid ladies. :eek::eek::eek: I'm afraid I chickened out when he said 'I want them off' and called for assistance. :D

Then another lady, surprisingly articulate for 89 started to tell me her life story which I'd heard on Thursday. She added that her family have told her this is a rest home but she knows darn well it's a hospital! :)

Mum was sleeping like a baby through all this and no matter how I tried I couldn't wake her without making her grumpy, so decided to let her sleep on.

She'll be so mad when she knows what she missed. ;) People watching is what she likes best.

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
My mum started a conversation with me in arabic today.:eek: This is her first language, and it came totally out of the blue. I did speak it when I was 3 or something, but not since.
I just stared at her. She repeated the sentence and must have thought I was a complete idiot.
Found out later she was asking me if I had posted a parcel to the US.....

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
FIL lost his English as he got worse. He was lucky that a carer noticed his accent and spoke to him in his mother tongue.

If you are going to do such a good job at the home then you had better ask to be paid!