Would A Health LPA Reduce Entitlement To Residential Care?

SlowCooker

Jul 3, 2022
Discussing care with a friend who was a carer for her (now deceased) mother, she told me that it's a very good idea to get a health LPA for my mother, but warned me that if she reaches a point where she could no longer live independently, the existence of the health LPA might mean that we might lose some financial help with payment for a care home, because I might be expected to then become her carer. Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience, please?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @SlowCooker and welcome to Talking Point
she told me that it's a very good idea to get a health LPA for my mother, but warned me that if she reaches a point where she could no longer live independently, the existence of the health LPA might mean that we might lose some financial help with payment for a care home
Assuming that you are in UK - no, absolutely not. Financial help is determined solely by how much your mum has in savings and income - your savings and income would not be considered at all. All the while your mum is living at home the house will not be considered as part of her assets, but would be if she moved into a care home.

It is true that Social Services try and persuade relatives to care for the person with dementia (some might say its emotional blackmail) and this is especially true if you are living with them (or they with you), but this is true whether or not you have a Health and Welfare POA.

SlowCooker

Jul 3, 2022
Hello @SlowCooker and welcome to Talking Point

Assuming that you are in UK - no, absolutely not. Financial help is determined solely by how much your mum has in savings and income - your savings and income would not be considered at all. All the while your mum is living at home the house will not be considered as part of her assets, but would be if she moved into a care home.

It is true that Social Services try and persuade relatives to care for the person with dementia (some might say its emotional blackmail) and this is especially true if you are living with them (or they with you), but this is true whether or not you have a Health and Welfare POA.
Canary: thank you very much for that quick and helpful reply.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @SlowCooker
A warm welcome from me too

Canary is right ... this may give an idea about paying for care

It is definitely worth helping your mother arrange LPAs for Finance and Health so that her Attorneys have the legal authority to help manage her affairs