Won't go to bed!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
OH has always been late to go to bed, but now it is getting silly.

Over the last weeks it has progressed from midnight to last night when it was 2.30am before he even thought of going to bed.

I do not stay up with him - I go about 10.30pm, but he always ends up clattering around and wakes me when he does decide to go to bed.

I am then awake, off and on for the rest of the night.

His dementia has totally taken over my life and last night at 2.30 I was ready to move out ! Then during the night, I got wondering if an alarm reminder on his phone, would remind him to go to bed at a reasonable time. By staying up so late, he ends up snoozing all day, and he has got into a rut I cannot get him out of.

He doesn't want to go out any more, and is happy sat in front of the TV - at the moment it is snooker snooker snooker

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My dad's days and nights flipped as he declined and unfortunately no matter what I tried he was up and about pacing around the house most of the night and caught odd snatches of sleep during tgd day. I never did find a solution and as he stared out of his bedroom window at 2am telling me it was day..all visual clues and me telling him it was night and sleep time were lost on him.

It is very tiring...the best I could do was to make sure the house was as safe as I could make it and left him to it. I then snatched sleep in fits and starts and as you do with a new baby...when he slept in the day so did I. It is a miserable phase.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I had the same problem with OH and nothing worked. I put post-it notes around - he just pulled them off; I put up an alarm - he just ignored it. Sometimes I would come down in the morning to find him asleep on the sofa with his tablet still beside him :rolleyes:. So yes, he too was snoozing during the day.

Strangely enough, it has been sorted by me having to catheterise him. I have to do it last thing at night and first thing in the morning. At 10.00pm I tell him that I am going to bed and I get ready for bed so he sees me in my nightware. I tell him that he needs me to catheterise him before I go to bed, which I do, but the good thing is that it has seemed to break the cycle of him just sitting there watching TV or on his tablet and although he could go back downstairs if he wanted to, he always just goes to bed afterwards. It has become part of his routine.

I know that this is not something that is helpful, but what I am wondering - is there anything that you could get him to do which might get him going down the "bed" routine?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
He used to drink 5/6 glasses of whisky before going to bed - habit - now he has replaced those with 5/6 mugs of horlicks - has he has an ileostomy and the Dr said he had to cut down on the hard stuff.
After the horlicks ( by which time I am long since in bed) he goes onto his laptop to play patience and loses track of time. I did wonder this morning about putting a reminder on his phone telling him to go to bed.....
It seems after talking to him just now, that he had an additional problem last night - he had been scratching himself on his tummy - which he often does, and he made it bleed, but because he is on warfarin it would not stop........
So many things make if a vicious circle.
There is a lovely flat to let in the next village in an Old Mill
- I keep looking at it and wishing....