Why older people should take self-isolating very seriously.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
765d3430-7a57-11ea-af44-daa3def9ae03-1.jpg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m now entering my fifth week of self isolation and pre-empted lockdown. I now see I am in the age bracket which has 5 points and am pleased I made that decision.

It`s not much fun I know but far better than being ill and causing additional worry to my family.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
My mums at home and I think she scores 13 it remains to be seen if they would even take her to hospital if she is unlucky enough to get this virus,mums 81 and is at present bedbound in a profile bed

Last edited:

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I am against this type of scoring system, the best person to make the assessment is the medical professional who can take all factors into consideration. OK, I understand that vital resources are in limited supply and doctors are having to make life or death decisions, but they need support to make the right choice and not some predefined set of rules.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
If I am honest I don’t think if anything happened they would do much for dad . He is 86 with diabetes ,ckd,heart failure ,dementia and hypertension.Plus very poor mobility.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Its quite worrying to see that although OH is in the 60 - 65 age bracket, he scores 11
My dad would be a 14 I think. But, assuming this is correct info, basically, anything above 8 means no ICU, so no ventilation etc except in some exceptional circumstance.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Thank God we are going through this with some sunshine to raise the spirits a little,this would have been even more awful with the winter grey skies and cold

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I am against this type of scoring system, the best person to make the assessment is the medical professional who can take all factors into consideration.

This is titled a decision support tool - ie for the relevant qualifed doctors to use. Decision support tools using scoring are continually used within medicine, as this ensures objective views are taken. They apply from the minute a baby is born (AGPAR score) throughout our life. Statistics and probability of outcomes are core to treatment in many scenarios. In this case this has been designed to support doctors make difficult clinical decisions in a stressful situation based on the available data, and is no different from the way clinical decisions are made in many scenarios.

The crucial bit to bear in mind is in the box with the red triangle/exclamation mark where is says clinical discretion will continue to apply.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Thank God we are going through this with some sunshine to raise the spirits a little,this would have been even more awful with the winter grey skies and cold

That’s true, we’ve had lovely blue skies and sunshine all day though it has been very chilly.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My reason for posting the graphic was in the title, older people should take self- isolating and social distancing very seriously, age adds a lot to the score.

The graphic only comes into play when you have caught COVID-19 and it has progresed to a critical state.

The scoring is made by a clinician by entering the person's data in section 1,2, and 3 to give a nominal score and adjusting it for any special consideration according to the instruction next to the exclamation mark.

The score then leads to a grade indicating the most appropriate treatment, again the final choice is by a clinician.

Higher scores mean that chance of survival is less, age gives a start to a high score so older people should be more careful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TobyD11