Why do they do this?

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
My dad was referred by his GP to see a mental health assessor who came to his home with the aim of prescribing medication for hallucinations. Neither he nor I thought medication was a good idea and so it was agreed to discharge him. However the assessor had to write a discharge letter detailing it all which she has sent to my dad and myself. They refused to just send it to me and put it in extra large print so he could read it. They have gone into great detail mentioning the D word, how my dad doesn't understand he has D and graphic details about his hallucinations, calling them as such. I thought we weren't suppose to dispel beliefs. He believes his hallucinations (people in the house messing things up etc) but they don't upset him and I work with him to talk about them then distract away. It feels very cruel to have put it down in black and white and I am afraid of how he will take it.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Oh dear @Spottydog that is not good. Would you be able to intercept the letter before your dad sees it. I know it is not the best way to act but sometime with dementia we have to do these things.
Do you have POA for health, if so you could try insisting that all letters are only sent to you.

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
Oh dear @Spottydog that is not good. Would you be able to intercept the letter before your dad sees it. I know it is not the best way to act but sometime with dementia we have to do these things.
Do you have POA for health, if so you could try insisting that all letters are only sent to you.
No sadly not as I'm a remote carer. I have PoA for health and am his correspondence address for all his other NHS stuff but this person was insistent he had to receive a copy directly. It's just really upsetting to see everything we said in great detail in black and white, including my feelings on how my dad is deteriorating. I just hope it washes over him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesie