Why do bad days last forever..?

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Just a bit of a rant to get a load of things out of my head. I thought I would start a diary thread as I've seen other people do, rather than start different threads all the time. Not sure if this is the right forum for that, so please feel free to close/move if not. This is long, so don't feel obliged to read or comment! Its more about getting it out.

So. Feel like I/we are stuck in a bad day that's never ending. Our situation is my mum (74) has Alzheimers, she was diagnosed 4 years ago and I feel like she's gone downhill very quickly since. She doesn't communicate much anymore. She might say yes or no or the odd couple of words, very rarely really makes sense. She can't feed herself anymore, we have problems getting her to open her mouth to eat but when she does she chews and swallows okay. She's doubly incontinent. Spends a lot of time sleeping now. On top of everything else she is being assessed for Parkinson's disease, which is looking pretty likely she has as she's got a tremor which comes and goes and is now also having balance problems and rigid muscles which I think is called a parkinsonism.

My dad is her full time carer. He is 78. I help if I can but I work full time and have a 4 year old so can't be here full time. Also, if I'm honest, I'm definitely not cut-out for this job! I feel overwhelmed by it and stressed over it and I'm not even the 'proper' carer. Anyway my dad was reaching a crisis point where he felt he couldn't cope either. SS got involved and 2 weeks respite care was arranged, which went okay really - as okay as it could be. Mum came home on Tuesday. Things were okay at first but then on Thursday she started having mobility problems out of nowhere, like someone had flicked a switch. I don't know if that's down to the Parkinson's or dementia or both perhaps. Before she could shuffle-walk about okay, even if she didn't always want to go where you were trying to take her!

Thursday morning my Dad rang and said Mum had fallen (flopped down on the floor) and he couldn't get her up. My daughter wasn't at pre-school that day so we rushed round but by the time we got there, he'd got her up again. All was okay but then Thursday night she had another fall and banged her head this time. Again Dad couldn't get her up so I went round and we managed to get her up again ourselves (though I was close to ringing for an ambulance!) and to bed. Friday morning - another fall. Again we managed to get her up.

We called social services for help and the woman who deals with us was very helpful and supportive (she has been all through). She couldn't get a care home place for mum until next Wednesday - but managed to arrange carers to come in 3 or 4 times a day (until the care home could take mum) to help with getting up, feeding dinner/changing pads and bedtime. Phew, I thought, thank God for that, we should be able to cope til then. Well, the carers came today and they are less than useless. I remember a visit from a social services person before who suggested carers coming in to help and my dad said 'Well, what would they do?' And she replied, 'they will help with whatever you want help with.' Obviously this is not the case. My dad asked for help with moving my mum from bedroom to living room in the morning and back again at night, and he wanted someone to help feed mum. The carer said she can't help move her. It's health and safety. She has a wheelchair so it's only helping her in and out of the chair really. I can do this but my dad can't on his own, he needs someone to help him do it. The carer refuses to so now I either have to stay here all day or come back 3 or 4 times to do it, which renders having the carers (who we're paying for) pointless. They've also refused to help with feeding - except she said she'd get the breakfast ready - that's putting milk on wheetabix, so thanks thats a really big help. But she won't help feed. Don't know why. And it's only 3 visits, not 4. It's totally pointless them coming. The only things they seem willing to do is the things my dad didn't really need help with (things he was managing okay).

So looks like I'm here all day everyday until the care home can take mum. It's bank holiday but I'm supposed to be back at work Tuesday. It's okay today but I have no childcare from tomorrow as my partner is working so my daughter will have to come here with me, which isn't really fair on her. It's a bit selfish but I did have things to do this weekend which have all had to be cancelled too, so I'm sad about that as well really.

Rant over. Thanks if you managed to read this far!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Missodell18
The carer said she can't help move her. It's health and safety.
Im afraid this is right - if your mum were staying at home she would need a stand aid and the carer could use that, but they are not allowed to help someone stand without it in case they drop them.

I dont know about the feeding problem, though, Im afraid

I know that everything else the carers can do are things that your dad doesnt have problems with, but it will give him more time if someone else is doing it. My OH has carers come in to help him wash, dress, sort out his catheter etc. These are all things that I can do, but having someone else doing them gives me time to do other things (like sorting out his medication, which the carers cant do)

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I understand that but it's still frustrating. I suppose too it was the last hope that my Mum might be able to stay in her own home. That's looking extremely unlikely now. On the other hand, it is better she's in a place where people can be on hand to help immediately if (and really, when) something happens. Just very conflicted feelings.

Feeding - I asked the evening carer and apparently they need special training. Never heard of that before. I assume its because of the swallowing problems Alzheimer's patients can develop. (I still kind of think, can't you get the training though, and then you'd be more helpful? !)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Feeding - I asked the evening carer and apparently they need special training. Never heard of that before. I assume its because of the swallowing problems Alzheimer's patients can develop. (I still kind of think, can't you get the training though, and then you'd be more helpful? !)
Ah, that makes sense.
Home carers dont get the same level of training in dementia care that someone in a dementia care home would get because home care is not specifically for dementia. They have to provide care for a wide range of different conditions.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Bad morning. Yesterday mum was doing well, standing and walking a little bit. This morning it's dropped to practically nothing. When the carer came this morning we got her into the wheelchair but I didn't think it was wise to move her into the chair in the living room as she seemed to have zero strength at all. We've put her back to bed for today but feel rotten doing so. My dad says he feels like we're just pushing her out of the way. I said it's to keep her safe but I know what he means.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Horrible day here. It's so up and down at the moment. Mum seems okay(ish) one minute and not the next. Gave her some soup and she ate about 3/4 before falling asleep - from the effort, I assume. Bank holiday cover carer is not as good as the others either.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Awful night but a better morning. The carer was an hour and half late last night. Didn't think she was going to come so we struggled and did bedtime ourselves. Of course she arrived just as we'd finished. Not even a sorry for being late, she just chastised us for not ringing the help line number in front of mum's carers folder - except there is no help line number, just a list of cleaning companies, as I pointed out. My dad's not well. I think it's probably stress induced but I don't want him to keel over too. I got home late and found my 4 year old being sick and she kept waking, so I was up all night with her too. By the time she'd gone back to sleep it was after 9pm so only ate a bit of bread for dinner.

Better morning though - a lot nicer carer came. She was much more sympathetic and had better ideas for moving mum around without lifting. She said she'd try and ensure we had 2 carers coming now on so we didn't have to do it all ourselves. Could have hugged her! Mum had a decent breakfast and has gone back to sleep. We've just got another 24 hours to get through and then we can go to the care home.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Just a thought. There are 81,000 members of this forum. Currently 24 members are online and 67 guests. It just shows the scale of how many people are suffering - people with dementia and their families and carers - and are searching for help and support online, and there must be so many more struggling out there too. Alzheimer's and dementia is an unseen illness, going on behind closed doors of thousands of houses. So much more needs to be done. I've got to admit, you've no idea how hard and terrible it is dealing with it until you're in it yourself - people just don't realise. And the figures for people being diagnosed with dementia are expected to rise exponentially. Things have to change. You shouldn't have to sacrifice your mental health and everything else just to care for a loved one because no other help is there.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Read back my first post and thought it might sound a bit rude or abrupt. Not what I meant. I meant don’t feel obligated to comment but comments are still welcome if you want to say something.

Anyway, I don’t know if our social worker thought I was exaggerating or what when I called last Thursday and said this situation isn’t safe for mum anymore, she needs to go back to the care home asap - SW arranged care home for Wednesday and sent carers for the weekend. Yesterday SW says ‘the carers say the situation isn’t safe and they’re concerned.’ So resisted saying, yes that’s what I told you before! In the SW defence she’d seen my mum and the change in her mobility was honestly overnight, so I don’t know if somethings happened inwardly. Anyway magically a place opened up at the care home early and we were able to take her there right away. When we got there it’s actually the same room as she had for respite and the nurse told us no one else had been in it since, so I don’t know why she couldn’t have gone earlier like I’d wanted. Staff issues probably.

So she’s safe and the pressure on my dad trying to take care of her 24/7 is off a little bit, so I’m relieved for that, but I do think he’s sinking into deep depression and I don’t know how to stop it. And it’s all so desperately sad. I can’t stop crying.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
So she’s safe and the pressure on my dad trying to take care of her 24/7 is off a little bit, so I’m relieved for that, but I do think he’s sinking into deep depression and I don’t know how to stop it.

I think this is generally good news, but I expect that your dad is now feeling lost and guilty that he wasnt able to cope. It will take him time to adjust
xxx