Who has the power to make the final decision for a relative with dementia?

kakstuff

Sep 11, 2014
Hi Guys
So this is my situation - your help will be soooo appreciated!!
My best friends mother, Daisy, has been diagnosed with Alzeimers and the decision has to be made as to which care facility she is going to be sent to.
Daisy has 2 children who unfortunately cant see eye to eye and want to send her to 2 different places...Daisy's sister also disagrees and wants to send her to another place.

Would someone be so kind and inform me who has the Legal rights in this matter to make the final decision? unfortunately Daisy is too ill to make such a decision...

Thank you very much in advance for your help...

Last edited:

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
Anyone got health POA? If so, then this person would decide
Be wary of SS, if there is argument about where Daisy is to go, SS may step in and decide, and the family will not like what is decided.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As angelface (nearly called you angleface then:eek:) bang some heads together and get them to agree if there is no POA then the SS may make a decision that suits no one, least of all Daisy herself.
K

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
Unfortunately, without a POA for Health & Welfare, an agreement really needs to be reached if Daisy is to go to the best care home for her. 'Next of Kin' is not taken into account by the authorities so neither the sister or her children have the first say in where Daisy goes.

Will Daisy be self funding &, if so, have Social Services been involved at all? If they haven't it buys the family some time to come to an agreement & I suggest an impartial 3rd person helps mediate so all the pros & cons of each home can be explored in order for the best decision to be made FOR DAISY. If she isn't self funding or SS are already involved then, as already mentioned by others, SS will quickly step in & make the decision for Daisy & the likelihood is the decision will be driven from a financial point of view (as the LA won't pay in full towards more expensive homes).