Who can actually make a formal diagnosis of Dementia?

Pete R

Thanks 2jays,

I have read those. The understanding of what constitutes EMI appears to have kept people guessing for a while.

Pete R

As far as I am aware if you mum goes into a NH and they can't cope she will have to go into an EMI

I agree with that.

Fortunately Mom is gentle as a kitten but has the memory of a Gold Fish. I think people on a General Nursing Ward may find her difficult to cope with but not in any nasty sense if you can understand what I mean?

jeany123

My husband wrecked his room at the CH when he had a UTI and was in hospital for 3 weeks with kidney failure, he was aggressive and abusive at the hospital,

I was told that he would have to go into the EMI unit at the CH when he left hospital but when he got back he was calm and he went to the residential part,

Pete R

My husband wrecked his room at the CH when he had a UTI and was in hospital for 3 weeks with kidney failure, he was aggressive and abusive at the hospital,

I was told that he would have to go into the EMI unit at the CH when he left hospital but when he got back he was calm and he went to the residential part,

In the home I want to place Mom they have 2 separate EMI units. One for "Disruptive" and one for those that are not. I feel Mom would be happy in the one that is not disruptive and when I have visited, twice now, I have no such behaviour.

jeany123

In the home I want to place Mom they have 2 separate EMI units. One for "Disruptive" and one for those that are not. I feel Mom would be happy in the one that is not disruptive and when I have visited, twice now, I have no such behaviour.

It sounds as though she would be suited to the none disruptive one Pete,

Pete R

I met with the Social Workers boss this week. He said he was going to have the EMI guidelines with him but did not.:mad:

The dementia team have confirmed that they always "like" to do a formal diagnosis when the person is out of a hospital environment. The current diagnosis of VasD may well be correct but they must assess Mom some more to make sure they get that label correct.

I now know the real reason they would not send Mom to the nursing home of my choice. It not down to the EMI unit or diagnosis. It is totally down to funding. :mad:

I knew all along the reablement programme is free and has to funded by LA. However I was willing to top up to get Mom in the NH where she will more than likely spend her last days.

Can you believe that SW and Boss did not know this when they made the decision and later bulked as they thought I might try to claim the money back. The NH would not make a deal with LA.

So the choice was to cancel the last chance of Mom ever coming home by putting her in NH of choice for good or find somewhere else that would accept the LA rate.

I have now found another NH but only for the reablement programme so if Mom is unable to come home then another move to the original one will have to happen, if they still have room.:(

Good news is that Mom is totally unaware of all this and was on cracking form all day in Hospital.:)

Thanks for all the advice.

jeany123

I'm sorry things didn't turn out how you wanted but at least you know what is happening now, I hope it goes well,

Jeany x

Saffie

Could be wrong but I understood that EMI was for very challenging/aggressive behaviour. Please correct me if wrong and someone has a bigger handle on it. It's just that a friends parent went into one when symptoms manifested themselves in that way. Some may never be aggressive as such.

My husband was transferred to a nursing home directly from hospital. He was not aggressive but anything other than an EMI registered nursing home was discounted. My understanding that EMI homes have more training in dementia that others.