Where to get help from?

dalmation lady

Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if anyone can help us. My father was diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia and alzheimers in February 2014.
At the Memory Clinic he scored 81/100 on ACE111 (whatever this means) and the memory part was 11/26.
He started medication and should have been reviewed after 6 months.
Each time the Clinic phoned he answered and refused to attend and after several attempts I assume they will now no longer bother with him.
At the present time due to various Drs leaving his Practice he no longer has a regular GP and appointments are with a "duty Dr" which is not really of much use as there is no continuity of medical care.
He continues to be very moody, verbally aggressive with family members, some nights refuses to go to bed and sits staring into space for hours on end. Alternatively he will pace around the house at night slamming doors and muttering to himself.
I feel it is only a matter of time before he gets physically violent.
My mother is very frail and not in good health herself and is becoming increasingly desperate as to how to deal with this with no outside medical help or support.
I should add she us at the same Practice and is in a similar position with lack of a named GP at present
Have any of you kind people got any ideas of who we go to
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
I know it seems like a big step but would it be possible for both your parents to change GP practice (assuming there is more than one practice in the area)?

Maybe your Mum could ask around her friends and see if someone speaks highly of their doctor or even just their practice. It certainly sounds like she could do better than the practice she is with at the moment :(

The other thing that should be possible is for Mum (or you on her behalf) to contact the local social services and see if they are able to provide any help. You don't need a GP referral or even a medical diagnosis to get help from them (although your Dad's diagnosis will probably help).

Good luck.

memaggie2

Nov 9, 2014
scotland
Hi

Try ringing the memory clinic and explain the situation , there may be a dementia team with CPNs that will accept self referrals. Its common for people to refuse to attend for appointments . Also try social services as the post above says

good luck x

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Have you tried contacting the Adult Care team in your area ? They may be able to help, also contact the memory clinic and explain - they will be used to unreasonable behaviour from someone who has Dementia ( or they're not doing their job properly). Explain your concerns to both about the medication and lack of continuity at Docs, they have a duty of care to your father, AC have a responsibility to act over safeguarding concerns and the rise in aggression should ring bells, and Mem clinic should take some responsibility for health and medication. Also try contacting your local Alzheimer's society for help - so many people will have been here before and they can give you advice specific to your area as each place varies hugely as to what is available.
Take care and keep strong, the help is out there it's just sometimes you have to keep pushing to get it !

dalmation lady

Feb 3, 2014
Thank you all for your replies. I have managed to get hold of the phone number for the main memory clinic in the area and am phoning them tomorrow, I will suggest that they write rather than phone with an appointment. Or alternatively phone me instead.

Tomjo

Oct 27, 2014
Carer's review

I was advised to ring the local social services customer care team and ask for a review of my mother's circumstances. I also asked for a carer's review (you have a right to a review of your circumstances as a carer.

After a second telephone request I had a visit from an absolutely fantastic woman who CAME TO MY HOUSE and spent an hour and fifteen minutes listening to me moan and whinge and snivel. She has been a mine of information, I feel I have someone to call on for information and I am so so glad I rang.

Ask for a carer's review - its your right.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
I wonder if anyone can help us. My father was diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia and alzheimers in February 2014.
At the Memory Clinic he scored 81/100 on ACE111 (whatever this means) and the memory part was 11/26.
He started medication and should have been reviewed after 6 months.
Each time the Clinic phoned he answered and refused to attend and after several attempts I assume they will now no longer bother with him.
At the present time due to various Drs leaving his Practice he no longer has a regular GP and appointments are with a "duty Dr" which is not really of much use as there is no continuity of medical care.
He continues to be very moody, verbally aggressive with family members, some nights refuses to go to bed and sits staring into space for hours on end. Alternatively he will pace around the house at night slamming doors and muttering to himself.
I feel it is only a matter of time before he gets physically violent.
My mother is very frail and not in good health herself and is becoming increasingly desperate as to how to deal with this with no outside medical help or support.
I should add she us at the same Practice and is in a similar position with lack of a named GP at present
Have any of you kind people got any ideas of who we go to
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this

Hi! Firstly I would say try and get your power of attorney done asap if hes agreeable especially for health and wellbeing..you might already have!..it only requires capacity whilst signing form...in reality all gps should be equally knowledgeable bit the reality is they move about and dont seem to be anywhere long enough..to know people like the old days..if your dad is willing to sign a letter to disguss his health it can go on his file and you can see what you can arrange....I used to say appointments were to rule things out which is good!..yes??..it basically wasnt my fault when they then ruled something in..!.. you can ask the memory clinic support worker to come out to the house...if they give you the well we are very busy etc..I say well I ll get a second opinion then..they soon shift....ask if your surgery has a carers champion..and they have a duty to assist you!..I wish you good luck...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app