Where are we at? Is this the end?

Dizzular

Mar 18, 2014
Hello all, I’ve turned to TP as it seems the only place I can gain information at the moment regarding the way forward.

Quick background is that Mum was diagnosed with AD in 2001. I became Mums full time carer 9 years ago and I have cared for her on my own successfully in her own home since then. We have gone down the usual steps of deterioration, mum is not mobile, she is hoisted, doubly incontinent, unable to communicate or even smile and spends probably 23 hours a day asleep or eyes closed despite my attempts to stimulate her and mum has been on pureed food and thickened fluids since 2 years ago this June after a visit from SALT.

Things have remained steady until 5 weeks ago. I had collected Mum from respite care and she was fine. The next morning she was obviously unwell. Its normal for mum to return from respite dehydrated so I assumed this was the cause and that it was probably a UTI. I contacted the doctor who prescribed some AB’s. All day mum wouldn’t eat or drink and it was clear that her ability to suck had gone and that she wasn’t swallowing properly so I began spoon feeding her fluids. The next morning (Friday) I was concerned about her as her right arm had become floppy so I called the doc for a home visit as I was now suspecting a TIA/Stoke. Doctor came and we agreed that there was no benefit to Mum going to hospital and that we would wait until after the weekend and potentially Mum would go in on the Monday for artificial hydration and nutrition and then come home and in the meantime I was to concentrate on getting fluids in her and not to worry too much about food. I explained to the doctor that if anything was going to happen to mum that I wanted it to be at home as two weeks previously I had lost my brother to cancer and he had died in hospital and hadn’t wanted to so he knew how I felt.

Over the weekend I looked up all the information I could on PEG and tube feeding and decided that it wasn’t the route I wanted to go down for Mum and on talking to the doctor on Monday he advised that he thought the same. He complimented me on her excellent care at home and said that hospital was not the place for her and she would be better cared for here. He prescribed some Ensure drinks and advised me to keep her comfortable and to contact him if she showed any signs of pain as that keeping mum pain free and comfortable was the most important thing. I took this to mean that he thought we were at the end of the road.

Since then every hour I am am getting some fluids into her. On a rare good day I can manage 900ml on a bad day 300ml. Mum can swallow just about but does not open her mouth for the spoon I just place the contents of the spoon in her mouth and eventually she swallows. This to me isn’t her wanting it I feel that I am making her have it as when I have just left her to see what happens she will wake after maybe 4 hours have a couple of spoons and go back to sleep. A lot of the time she will blow the contents out of her mouth and at other times she will cough and make it obvious that she doesn’t want anymore. Mum will not have the Ensure drinks and will not accept any food stuff at all she just coughs and chokes on it so the only thing she is surviving on is Complan unflavoured that I stir into her squash as it makes it creamy and mousse like and easy to swallow, or fruit puree and custard. I feel that I am making her have more intake than she would like to but because I am concerned about dehydration I feel I have to keep on top of it, but do I? Surely if I take mums lead she is going to become dehydrated? I called the doctor the week before last as I was trying to gain some direction as to where this is going and how I continue but he just reiterated again about keeping her pain free. Mum clearly doesn’t want anything and I believe if I let her have only what she wants she would just slowly decline and drift off but is that what the doctor is telling me to allow? It’s not clear and is causing me distress. Incidentally the week after the ‘stroke/TIA’ when Mum hardly ate or drank it was the most comfortable and lucid I had seen mum in a very long time so I feel then that she was ready to go but I by maintaining the hourly fluids that I am prolonging this?

I will see the doctor tomorrow as he is off today but in the meantime I am seeking any opinions here as I feel quite alone. I don’t know if mum is in the dying process or not. This is the hardest part of the journey so far. The district nurse came 3 weeks ago too as I asked for an air mattress and she asked if I thought mum was going to recover and I said no I didn’t think she would. With cancer you have a pallative care nurse to guide you but with dementia where do you turn to?

Sorry for the long post

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
How troubling for you. I think your Mum is telling you in her own way that she has had enough. The doctor too knows that comfortable and pain free is all that you can do. In hospital they would tube feed her and what good would that do. Let her slip away in peace. God bless you both.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I also agree with the doctor that keeping her comfortable and pain free should be the priority. She may be not eating because she is dying rather than dying because she is not eating. A natural death is after all the last phase of life.

To ensure a comfortable and pain free last few hours/days it would be a good idea to have the 'just in case' box of anticipatory drugs and syringe driver available so that they can be administered by the district nurse if required, getting the prescription and drugs out of normal hours can be very stressful.

The drugs are administered sub cutaneously by a small syringe driver.
There are usually four drugs to control, pain, nausea, breathing problems and agitation, the drugs are all intermiscible and administered as required.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
How difficult for you to face this, I cant imagine how hard it must be to make these decisions alone.

Can your GP refer you to a Palliative care team, or a District Nursing team?

It seems like you deserve a lot more support that you are getting.

I watched my Nanna fade away in the 1980's in similar circumstances but she was in a CH, it was really hard even though it wasn't us making the choices on a daily basis. You need more support.

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
I too agree that you need to keep her comfortable and pain free but that you should also have support from the district nurse team. It may be worth asking the GP about this.

You're doing a wonderful job and my heart goes out to you having to make these heart breaking decisions. Try to take care of yourself too xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello, I'm so sorry that you have had to turn to TP for help at this stage of your Mum's illness. You have done a wonderful job.
Give your local Hospice or the Mamillan nurses a ring and pick their brains, many of the Hospices run a "Hospice at Home" service.....and I know that the Macmillan service will be able to give you some advice.
Contact the GP too as others have mentioned to speak to the District Nurse from the practice.

Good luck and be proud of yourself.....you've done much more than many of us have felt able to do.....Maureen..x.x.

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Bless you what a hard time for you and doing it all on your own . I do hope you can get some help for you and your mum. What a great job you are doing. Your mums nearing the end of her journey. Take care lindaxx

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Dizzular

I'm really sorry to hear you and your Mum are going through this awful, difficult time.

It sounds to me like you're doing the very best job you can. It must be such a dilemma to decide whether by trying to continue to give her nourishment you are prolonging her life unnecessarily. If it were me, I would carry on offering the spooned liquids while ever she is able to cope with things. I think the sad thing is that there will come a point when it's obvious she can't cope any more. I watched my Aunt go through this in hospital after she fell ill with pneumonia (she didn't have dementia). The hospital staff were really good and kept offering her food/drinks but didn't try to persuade her if she didn't willingly accept.

I agree with the others on here that you need more support - even if it's so you don't have to make decisions like this without someone to talk to about them.

My heart goes out to you and I wish you strength to cope with what's ahead.

Take care
xx

Boney

Dec 9, 2012
Be proud

Hello all, I’ve turned to TP as it seems the only place I can gain information at the moment regarding the way forward.

Quick background is that Mum was diagnosed with AD in 2001. I became Mums full time carer 9 years ago and I have cared for her on my own successfully in her own home since then. We have gone down the usual steps of deterioration, mum is not mobile, she is hoisted, doubly incontinent, unable to communicate or even smile and spends probably 23 hours a day asleep or eyes closed despite my attempts to stimulate her and mum has been on pureed food and thickened fluids since 2 years ago this June after a visit from SALT.

Things have remained steady until 5 weeks ago. I had collected Mum from respite care and she was fine. The next morning she was obviously unwell. Its normal for mum to return from respite dehydrated so I assumed this was the cause and that it was probably a UTI. I contacted the doctor who prescribed some AB’s. All day mum wouldn’t eat or drink and it was clear that her ability to suck had gone and that she wasn’t swallowing properly so I began spoon feeding her fluids. The next morning (Friday) I was concerned about her as her right arm had become floppy so I called the doc for a home visit as I was now suspecting a TIA/Stoke. Doctor came and we agreed that there was no benefit to Mum going to hospital and that we would wait until after the weekend and potentially Mum would go in on the Monday for artificial hydration and nutrition and then come home and in the meantime I was to concentrate on getting fluids in her and not to worry too much about food. I explained to the doctor that if anything was going to happen to mum that I wanted it to be at home as two weeks previously I had lost my brother to cancer and he had died in hospital and hadn’t wanted to so he knew how I felt.

Over the weekend I looked up all the information I could on PEG and tube feeding and decided that it wasn’t the route I wanted to go down for Mum and on talking to the doctor on Monday he advised that he thought the same. He complimented me on her excellent care at home and said that hospital was not the place for her and she would be better cared for here. He prescribed some Ensure drinks and advised me to keep her comfortable and to contact him if she showed any signs of pain as that keeping mum pain free and comfortable was the most important thing. I took this to mean that he thought we were at the end of the road.

Since then every hour I am am getting some fluids into her. On a rare good day I can manage 900ml on a bad day 300ml. Mum can swallow just about but does not open her mouth for the spoon I just place the contents of the spoon in her mouth and eventually she swallows. This to me isn’t her wanting it I feel that I am making her have it as when I have just left her to see what happens she will wake after maybe 4 hours have a couple of spoons and go back to sleep. A lot of the time she will blow the contents out of her mouth and at other times she will cough and make it obvious that she doesn’t want anymore. Mum will not have the Ensure drinks and will not accept any food stuff at all she just coughs and chokes on it so the only thing she is surviving on is Complan unflavoured that I stir into her squash as it makes it creamy and mousse like and easy to swallow, or fruit puree and custard. I feel that I am making her have more intake than she would like to but because I am concerned about dehydration I feel I have to keep on top of it, but do I? Surely if I take mums lead she is going to become dehydrated? I called the doctor the week before last as I was trying to gain some direction as to where this is going and how I continue but he just reiterated again about keeping her pain free. Mum clearly doesn’t want anything and I believe if I let her have only what she wants she would just slowly decline and drift off but is that what the doctor is telling me to allow? It’s not clear and is causing me distress. Incidentally the week after the ‘stroke/TIA’ when Mum hardly ate or drank it was the most comfortable and lucid I had seen mum in a very long time so I feel then that she was ready to go but I by maintaining the hourly fluids that I am prolonging this?

I will see the doctor tomorrow as he is off today but in the meantime I am seeking any opinions here as I feel quite alone. I don’t know if mum is in the dying process or not. This is the hardest part of the journey so far. The district nurse came 3 weeks ago too as I asked for an air mattress and she asked if I thought mum was going to recover and I said no I didn’t think she would. With cancer you have a pallative care nurse to guide you but with dementia where do you turn to?

Sorry for the long post

My heart goes out to you as I find myself in a very similar position. It feels wrong to not offer the fluids etc and wrong to prolong. May you find strength to carry on caring just the way that you have. I am sure your mum would be very proud of you for the way you have cared for her at home. That must surely be so hard. I wish you and your mum peace x

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
How very hard for you. I may be wrong, but you seem to be worried about perhaps being guilty of allowing your mum to die, whereas if you persist with food and drink that she doesn't appear to want, you could keep her going a bit longer. The doctor is perhaps reluctant to say anything in black and white, so to speak, for fear of upsetting you.

I can only say what happened with a much loved aunt of mine, late 80s, advanced dementia and in a CH, who started to refuse food and drink after the umpteenth UTI.
It was a very difficult time, but with advice from the lovely GP it was decided that while she should continue to be offered food and drink, it should not be pushed if she didn't want it, and certainly it would not be in her best interests to send her to hospital for rehydration, since she would find it very distressing and also it was almost certainly only going to happen again quite soon.

I sat with her a lot during her last days. The staff were lovely - they did continue to offer food and drink, but it was quite clear that she didn't want any of it and they did not push it. She would close her mouth and turn her head away. She did not appear to be in any discomfort and eventually drifted away quite peacefully. Although I agonised at the time about the decision on whether to send her to hospital for rehydration, I never once regretted it afterwards. I knew I my heart that she had had enough and was ready to go, and that the person she was before dementia would certainly not have wanted to be kept going as she was then.

All very best wishes to you at such a difficult time.

KateT

Jan 6, 2014
So sad

I'm at the same stage as you, with my mum, and can appreciate how awful you are feeling. There are no clear indications of what to do for the best, are there?

My mum is now back in her nursing home after a week in hospital following a fall and severe head injury. Mum has been adamantly refusing food and drink for about two weeks, though she was eating only tiny amounts prior to the fall. The hospital had her on a drip for a while and also sub-cutaneous fluids at night, although I said I wasn't comfortable with this as it seemed against her wishes. Once back in the NH, Mum wouldn't have the sub-cut needle in ~ pulling it out herself. I told staff not to try again and they have agreed. The doctor has been in to see her and has prescribed the end of life pack and was happy with the decision not to artificially hydrate.

It is an AWFUL decision & I felt as though I was choosing death over life for her, but my mum is making it very clear that she doesnt want food/drink. When the care staff try to feed her she pulls the covers aver her face and even though she can hardly speak any more she clearly told me, my husband & son yesterday that she didn't want to eat or drink. We were quite shocked that she managed to put the words together. Just because someone has AD doesn't mean they can't make a concious decision. I just hope it's soon.

So we're like you, watching and waiting and feeling very, very sad. Wishing you strength at this very difficult time, Kate x