What to say

Sarahbd

Dec 12, 2023
My lovely old Mother aged nearly 94 has mixed dementia and Alzheimer’s which isn’t too bad as she knows who I am still. I live with her and moved in just before the Pandemic. She had a fall over Christmas and since then is convinced (but not always, I think) that she is staying with me and wonders why her house has been moved. She has lived here for 40 years. She seems to think that it was her uncles house once and that it was moved here. I have no idea where this came from, I never knew her uncles house. I tell her that she is home and that I am living with her and she nods and says of course but I can see she is confused. She often thinks there are other people in the house that she needs to be a ‘hostess’ to and I have to tell her that it’s just her and me. I never know if that makes it worse for her but if I go along with her story then surely that is wrong? Wouldn’t that be muddling her more? Does anyone have a similar dilemma or advice?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Sarahbd and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. It is possible that the fall has caused this confusion and it might gradually ease as your mum gets over the fall but there are no guarantees. I know that it might go against all of your instincts but sometimes it is better just to agree with the person with dementia when they get confused about where they are living rather than try to convince them otherwise. As someone on here said recently, we have to enter their world.