What questions to ask neurologist? FTD

Getting CluedUp

Apr 4, 2016
Hello all,

I'm going with my mum for a second appointment with a neurologist. The first apt was with a neurologist at the local hospital, who made a tentavie diagnosis of Frontal Temporal Dementia. This second apt is with a neurologist at Kings Hospital in London. Then we're hoping to get feedback in two weeks. I'm just wondering what questions I should ask?

I'm not clear what this second test will entail, so I thought that could be something.

I'm just wary of not being fully informed, if we don't ask the right questions.

Many thanks in advance,
GCU

Ps. Just wanted to say thanks again for previous advice about getting a referral :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad you have been referred to Kings
Usually the first consultation is a general one including a variety of tests to exclude other problems, but not ones that would require another appointment 2 weeks later for feedback. Are you sure its with the neurologist and not for something like neuropsychology testing?

Getting CluedUp

Apr 4, 2016
Yes, that's right. The appointment this week is for a neuropsychological assessment then feedback with the original neurologist in about two weeks, is my understanding.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, that's right. The appointment this week is for a neuropsychological assessment then feedback with the original neurologist in about two weeks, is my understanding.

This is done by a neuropsychologist, rather than a neurologist. Its a series of tests - usually lasting an hour or two, mostly pen and paper based, though there are oral aspects too, that test the function of different parts of the brain. This is very useful, especially with suspected FTD, as people with FTD often have no problems with their memory and pass the mini mental state exam easily, but they do have problems in very specific areas that the neuropsychology testing should pick up.

You are unlikely to have your questions answered on that day. The neuropsychologist will write her report and send it to the neurologist for your next appointment. It will be impossible for me to predict what the tests will show, so difficult to suggest what questions to ask at the follow up appointment. TBH, if your questions are about practical stuff you would be better off asking on here.