What do we do with my FiL?

MoHo

Mar 21, 2024
Hi There, my FiL has had dementia for over 5 years and my MiL has provided him with the best possible care at home. He is 80 and physically very fit and strong. MiL (78) is struggling to keep up with his level of energy and the progression of his illness, including constant erratic behaviour, hiding food and chewed food balls,being up and down during the night and toileting issues. He will only leave her to go out with a family member for a walk and coffee and cake. He was in hospital in December following a traumatic bout of diarrhoea and while he was there he was aggressive to the staff, shouting, kicking and headbutting, refusing meds etc. We have got to the stage where he needs to go in for respite but where do we start? We know he will be aggressive and looking to get out as soon as he is left in a care home, he would literally kick down a door or break a window to get out. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Perhaps start with a GP consultation describing the above. A needs assessment and medication review perhaps. It sounds as if a 78 year old MIL is in need of a comprehensive review of this situation. Remember, it is what the PWD needs, not what everyone else wants

Last edited:

MoHo

Mar 21, 2024
Perhaps start with a GP consultation describing the above. A needs assessment and medication review perhaps. It sounds as it a 78 year old MIL is in need of a comprehensive review of this situation. Remember, it is what the PWD needs, not what everyone else wants
Thank you, GP and Social Work and Elderly Mental Health Team are all involved and his medication is being reviewed. We’ve been asked by SW to choose a Care Home for his respite package, we know he will not stay voluntarily in a CH but MiL is exhausted and needs a break. What happens when he becomes aggressive in the CH? Will they send him home, will they send him to a secure unit?