What did you do for your summer holidays?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The most recent issue of Living with Dementia magazine has an article about Holiday Options which brought back some memories. When I was looking to take my Mother away for a few days (nothing very exciting, just to the sea side) I found it difficult to find much information about how to do it. There were a few places that indicated they had wheelchair accessible rooms but while that was a necessity I was more concerned about things like potential incontinence and the like.

I know we have a quite a few members who continue to take holidays away from home and I was wondering if they have some pointers about how to do it (and as importantly, how not to do it). Also different holiday types - one of the couples in the article went on cruises and took the husband's mobility scooter with them. It wouldn't have occurred to me that you could do that.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
holidays

Hi Jenniferpa, have noticed your comment about Vitalise charity and was hoping to try to take hubby to the nearest one as it sounds so good. They do mention on their website that they wouldn't be happy with people who showed signs of aggression but what level that is I don't know.

There is another organisation which has hotels and self catering facilities called Livability.
I took hubby to their Llandudno hotel last year for a week. It had all the equipment - mobile hoist, profiling bed, wheel in wet room and they brought us breakfast in our room at no extra cost. Hubby loved the holiday, being in a wheelchair Llandudno was accessible being flat.

Hope people find this contact of benefit

Best wishes Benjie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp