What accessory would help with personal safety for a dementia suffer?

Katetrafford

Sep 11, 2014
Hi,
I work for a local council and have access to some funding for older people.
The money is sign posted to crime reduction.
After a discussion with my team it has been decided that we would like to focus on dementia suffers.
I have taken a look on several web site to get ideas for items we could buy, but we would like to get other ideas.

I would be really greatful if you could provide some ideas for items that would provide personal safety to an older person and help in preventing and deterring personal or home attacks against them.

Many thanks in advance.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
One of the major difficulties in providing.....for example personal attack alarms....is ensuring that the victim will be able to find and operate the device. Dementia sufferers, especially as they get older, easily forget thet they have these devices, or might panic if they discover and operate them making a loud scarey noise.
So many door locks or alarms remain unused because the recipient does not recognise them as belonging to themselves. I could forsee many occasions of alarm buttuns being pressed because " What is this? What does it do?".

Perhaps you could consider some form of photo ID device that carries the owners name and a contact number so that they can be fitted into a purse or wallet or into an inside pocket. I had made up such a card for my Mum and it was used several times to call me when she was found wandering.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The AS already have a card which can be kept in a wallet Maureen. I had one about 5 years ago. It came with the information pack on Alzheimer's they sent me.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
If money was no object, but of course it is, I'd like to get everyone living alone with Dementia a webcam, either inside to keep an eye on visitors, or outside to deter the rogues who target the vulnerable elderly.
But I imagine your funding isn't that generous. A big thankyou to your group for thinking of dementia sufferers.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi,
I work for a local council and have access to some funding for older people.
The money is sign posted to crime reduction.
After a discussion with my team it has been decided that we would like to focus on dementia suffers.
I have taken a look on several web site to get ideas for items we could buy, but we would like to get other ideas.

I would be really greatful if you could provide some ideas for items that would provide personal safety to an older person and help in preventing and deterring personal or home attacks against them.

Many thanks in advance.

It really does depend on how much money you have. I take it you are not able to say?:) What ideas have you come up with already?

Make more neighbourhoods "No Cold Caller Areas".
Give out "No Cold Callers" warning signs for houses/doors.
Fit door chains/window locks.
Front door peep holes or cameras.
Fit security lights. Some also have very good cameras built in.
Fit key safes.
Many Police Forces via private companies, who charge, provide a "keyholder" data base. Could this be extended (and paid for) to provide details of NoK who could be contacted on a 999 call being made on a certain property or include details of the lock safe code that you have just fitted.:)