Ways of Toileting without a stand turner belt

shell16

Feb 18, 2024
Hi, can anyone suggest ways of toileting and cleaning a dementia patient without using a stand turner and belt. My mom has very limited mobility and tends to go to sit down when not safe with a zimmer frame so carers have been using a stand turner for months now, the problem is she leans back and the belt hurts her. The carers put the belt on possibly higher than they should but if they didn't they wouldn't be able to clean her as the belt would be in the way. She isn't always in a frame of mind to co- operate with them as she thinks they are hurting her on purpose. Has anyone else experienced this and how have you overcome it?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @shell16 Welcome.

I`ve tried to find more information for you but have been unable to I hope someone who knows of this aid and has experienced it will be able to offer some advice.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @shell16 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your mum being distressed when the carers are toileting her, I do not have any experience of this but hopefully some of our members will be able to advise you.
Have you discussed the issue with the carers to see if they can suggest any other methods.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi, can anyone suggest ways of toileting and cleaning a dementia patient without using a stand turner and belt. My mom has very limited mobility and tends to go to sit down when not safe with a zimmer frame so carers have been using a stand turner for months now, the problem is she leans back and the belt hurts her. The carers put the belt on possibly higher than they should but if they didn't they wouldn't be able to clean her as the belt would be in the way. She isn't always in a frame of mind to co- operate with them as she thinks they are hurting her on purpose. Has anyone else experienced this and how have you overcome it?
Along similar lines I was wondering about a Sara Stedy.
It would be two staff.
They would have to be very swift to clean between her legs before the seat went down.
And I don’t think you have much chance of an OT approving it.
If you look on you tube you can see what I mean.
The big advantage of the Sara stedy would be it removes the ‘prisoner’ aspect, and once the seat is down is very safe.

shell16

Feb 18, 2024
Along similar lines I was wondering about a Sara Stedy.
It would be two staff.
They would have to be very swift to clean between her legs before the seat went down.
And I don’t think you have much chance of an OT approving it.
If you look on you tube you can see what I mean.
The big advantage of the Sara stedy would be it removes the ‘prisoner’ aspect, and once the seat is down is very safe.
Thank you. I'll look into that.xx

shell16

Feb 18, 2024
Hello @shell16 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your mum being distressed when the carers are toileting her, I do not have any experience of this but hopefully some of our members will be able to advise you.
Have you discussed the issue with the carers to see if they can suggest any other methods.
Hi, Thank you, I have mentioned if any other option and they said only hoist which she would hate.xx

helpingpeggy

Aug 6, 2019
Hello Shell16, there are standing aids which can (subject to an assessment) be used without a belt. The Romedic ReTurn is one. But not using the belt means the person might sit down more unexpectedly. So a proper assessment is needed. Can you call the social services Occupational Therapy team (who may have provided the current aid) and report the issue and ask for an urgent review? Another option might be a wash-dry toilet addition so she doesn’t need to be washed or wiped by the carers at all.

shell16

Feb 18, 2024
Hello Shell16, there are standing aids which can (subject to an assessment) be used without a belt. The Romedic ReTurn is one. But not using the belt means the person might sit down more unexpectedly. So a proper assessment is needed. Can you call the social services Occupational Therapy team (who may have provided the current aid) and report the issue and ask for an urgent review? Another option might be a wash-dry toilet addition so she doesn’t need to be washed or wiped by the carers at all.
Thank you so much. I never even thought about wash dry toilet equipment. Much appreciated.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
We used a commode wheel chair for Mum, with a bucket that could be removed with her still sitting down. We were then able to clean her up from underneath, so to speak. You do need to be fairly agile to reach under the chair!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlight1