Washing Machine and Dishwasher advice wanted please

RoseGarden

Mar 3, 2012
I'm about to buy a new washing machine and dishwasher for my parents' kitchen. I want to prevent Dad from:

Stopping either machine once it's been switched on.
Switching either machine on if it's switched off.

Ideally I would like the carers and Dad to be able to load the dishwasher but this isn't essential.

So far I've considered these options:

A child lock - but I know very little about these. Would Dad figure them out? He's still very capable in some ways.
A remote control for the wall socket. This wouldn't prevent Dad from switching the machines off though, only on.
A device which is linked to my phone so I could control it from there. These seem expensive and I could see Dad and I playing a game of "off / on".
He's too high functioning to be deterred by a notice or tape over controls.

I can't keep Dad out of the room where the machines are. Currently I'm washing their laundry at my house but it's hard work.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks. :)

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Whatever you come up with is most likely doomed to failure, but you can but try! :rolleyes:

Public safety information used to tell people to switch off and unplug appliances when not in use, and always before going to bed. It's a deeply ingrained habit. You also cannot have an appliance that cannot be switched off, for fire safety reasons.

Suggestions:
  • You can buy key lockable plastic plug covers for electric sockets. These are easy to fit. They are not completely tamper proof.
  • Integrated appliances behind cupboard doors are out of sight out of mind.
  • A slimline dishwasher is perfectly adequate and could be positioned less visibly.
  • Make sure the dishwasher controls are on the top of the door so that there's nothing to fiddle with once the door is shut.
  • A washing machine can be plumbed into a lockable garage, outhouse or downstairs cupboard or toilet, or even an upstairs cupboard if the floor is strong enough.
  • Fix a net curtain wire to the underside of the worktop and hang a small curtain over the appliance.

You have my sympathy. We dealt with a similar appliances dilemma.

MIL constantly complained that her washing machine was broken. "It had been running for hours so I had to switch it off at the plug." She would switch it off then switch it on again, expecting to be able to open the door and take out the clothes. Unfortunately her machine had a memory chip that would pick up where it left off, to complete the wash cycle. From her POV it had been running all day because she never left it alone for long enough to complete the wash. Eventually she would jemmy the door lock and cause a flood.

It was only towards the very end of her time living at home that she completely forgot how to use it. We could nip in and set a wash going while someone else distracted her. As long as someone came back the same day to take the washing out again she generally didn't realise the machine was on in the meantime. Of course if she'd managed to trip the electric fuses (regular occurrence) then the washing would have to be restarted.

We had better luck with the dishwasher. When we had her kitchen refitted we added a slimline dishwasher to assist us/carers. Since it had not been there before she didn't seem to notice it. Also when she did try to open it she would be trying to open it like a normal side hinged door and it wouldn't shift because the door actually swung downwards from a base hinge.

Last edited:

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk
I'm sorry I have no solutions, only sympathy. Mum's been through 3 washing machines in a couple of years. She becomes convinced they're 'making a terrible noise' and are about to 'blow up'. She's completely obsessed and convinced so the only solution is to get a new one. She also regularly complains that everything's 'coming out grey' which is because she obviously forgets to put powder in which she flat out denies.

She's also on her third vacuum, she takes the bag out because she thinks it's full then forgets to put a new one in. Dust goes straight into the motor.... dead vacuum cleaner.

I will follow this thread closely to see if anyone has any useful suggestions!

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk
Whatever you come up with is most likely doomed to failure, but you can but try! :rolleyes:

Public safety information used to tell people to switch off and unplug appliances when not in use, and always before going to bed. It's a deeply ingrained habit. You also cannot have an appliance that cannot be switched off, for fire safety reasons.

Suggestions:
  • You can buy key lockable plastic plug covers for electric sockets. These are easy to fit. They are not completely tamper proof.
  • Integrated appliances behind cupboard doors are out of sight out of mind.
  • A slimline dishwasher is perfectly adequate and could be positioned less visibly.
  • A washing machine can be plumbed into a lockable garage, outhouse or downstairs cupboard or toilet, or even an upstairs cupboard if the floor is strong enough.

You have my sympathy. We dealt with a similar appliances dilemma.

MIL constantly complained that her washing machine was broken. "It had been running for hours so I had to switch it off at the plug." She would switch it off then switch it on again, expecting to be able to open the door and take out the clothes. Unfortunately her machine had a memory chip that would pick up where it left off, to complete the wash cycle. From her POV it had been running all day because she never left it alone for long enough to complete the wash. Eventually she would jemmy the door lock and cause a flood.

It was only towards the very end of her time living at home that she completely forgot how to use it. We could nip in and set a wash going while someone else distracted her. As long as someone came back the same day to take the washing out again she generally didn't realise the machine was on in the meantime. Of course if she'd managed to trip the electric fuses (regular occurrence) then the washing would have to be restarted.

We had better luck with the dishwasher. When we had her kitchen refitted we added a slimline dishwasher to assist us/carers. Since it had not been there before she didn't seem to notice it. Also when she did try to open it she would be trying to open it like a normal side hinged door and it wouldn't shift because the door actually swung downwards from a base hinge.

I've had exactly the same thing! Have lost count of the amount of times Mum's phoned me to say the w/m has been going for 'hours and hours so I've switched it off and now the door won't open, can you pop over?' What is it with appliances?:eek:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"A child lock - but I know very little about these. Would Dad figure them out? He's still very capable in some ways."

The only ones I know of have a button that has to be pressed for a certain time to enable/disable all controls, the time is usually 5 seconds. I think your dad could well figure this out.
Making a lockable plate to cover the controls is the way I would go.

To prevent the plug being pulled out is difficult, the child proof covers are opened by simply pressing two catches, additionally they are not strong enough to withstand a determined attack with a knife or similar.
You could replace the sockets with unswitched fused spur outlets (The wire comes out around the sides of the outlet)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/fused-spurs/2227819/ and risk he does take the fuse out to stop either machine.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You could replace the sockets with unswitched fused spur outlets (The wire comes out around the sides of the outlet).

I don't know that a qualified electrician would put in an unswitched fused spur as it means that there is no means of isolating the appliance from the mains other that removing the fuse.
Given all the stories about tumble driers catching fire recently, a domestic appliance that cannot be isolated from the mains wouldn't be my first choice, it also means he could still keep turning the machines on for no reason which is the other problem.
A key operated switch means it couldn't be used other than when a keyholder is there.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
OK, change them to key operated switched fused spurs
https://www.yesss.co.uk/mk-aluminium-flex-out-fused-connection-unit-k989alm-p6756

This still leaves the problem of tapering with the controls, maybe machines with the button to press for 5 seconds to activate/deactivate controls could be fitted with an lockable cover over the button, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreambaby-Stove-Knob-Covers-Transparent/dp/B000KGAHKW could be glued over the button, more secure would be better.

EDIT

Use the plastic knob covers, drill a hole in the lid and glue a nut on, glue the lid shut, and glue the cover to the machine.
You can then depress the button using a screw fitted with two lock nuts set to prevent it being screwed in too far or cut the screw to length.
Wing or knob screws would be best.
sep_lidwingbolt_Lrg.png
41Cq-zJvTYL._AC_US160_.jpg

Last edited:

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
I want to prevent Dad from:
Switching either machine on if it's switched off.

If he's rather high-functioning and given to tampering, I doubt there will be any very satisfactory technical fix for all of the things you want to do, short of constant supervision or these appliances being locked away in a separate utility room - which you say isn't possible here.

Preventing things from being turned on, could have a key-operated mains socket:

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?51515&p=680818&viewfull=1#post680818

RoseGarden

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks very much for all replies. As Dad progresses we need to keep him away from more household appliances (for safety) so your ideas are really useful.

We opted for inbuilt machines inside cabinets which are identical to the rest of the kitchen. We then fitted childproof locks to these doors.

My brother came up with an idea which - due to the position of the electrics wasn't practical - but may be useful to someone else. He thought about putting a circuit breaker, linked to the washer and dishwasher, and hidden in a lockable cupboard. We could switch the machines on and off there and Dad would be unaware.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"My brother came up with an idea which - due to the position of the electrics wasn't practical - but may be useful to someone else. He thought about putting a circuit breaker, linked to the washer and dishwasher, and hidden in a lockable cupboard. We could switch the machines on and off there and Dad would be unaware."

White goods are often plugged in under a worktop with a switch on the wall above the worktop.
If this is the set up you could use
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-Remote-Control-Sockets-Pack/dp/B004A7XGH8