Vivid Dreams -v- Reality

Glofaxi

Nov 5, 2017
East Yorkshire
Hello again.
I've not been on here for a few weeks. I've been poorly and my mum has now been assessed from being in respite care (having lived with me for 26 years and diagnosed 4 years ago) to being permanent.
The CH is really nice and they have welcomed mum well. She was pretty well functioning but has had a chest infection and then a water infection within a few weeks culminating in a seizure. The scans were ok and she was sent back to the CH - at 2.30 AM!!!!
I'm writing for advice because mum is having such vivid dreams she is not able to separate them from reality She was always good at overhearing a snippet of conversation and then padding it out to suit herself. She could be dangerous doing it sometimes as she would make up such nonsense. She was always a bit of a sleepwalker too.
The thing is though that now she is becoming very agitated and upset as she can't work out what's real and what's not. She was in tears today as she thought we'd all been murdered. The day before she thought she was in a Coronation Street script and was going to be left without a home as all the houses were occupied. She thinks the CH is being taken over by Romanians. They have parties at night and pull the curtains down. None of course is true.
Her legs are sore and bandaged as her skin is so thin it doesn't heal properly and she's been trying to pull the bandages off. She gets agitated, tries to walk fast unaided and falls down as she thinks I'm waiting for her to take her home.
Because of the seizure caused by the infection, the neurologist thinks, they have taken off her antidepressant and the Advil. Her dreams are not altered by this, I don't think. But she is increasingly grumpy.
Can anyone shed any light on this as it's making her life miserable? Is it the dementia that is creeping forwards quicker than before?
She was 94 on Wednesday.
Is there anything that the dr can give her to stop the dreams? Any advice much appreciated.
This forum has helped me no end before when I considered whether to keep her in the CH or not and although the guilt is still there, my life is far easier visiting her nearly every day rather than having a 24/7 care of her. She has become far worse in the last 3 months and I wonder whether she would have deteriorated as fast at home with me but I'm no longer able to pick her up so I'll never know. I do know that the family are better off with the current situation than before but I wish I could make her life more peaceful.
Thank you.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It’s known that infections can play havoc with a PWD but also that a complete or partial return to the pre infection state can occur after full recovery. I hope this happens here.
My wife, who has Alzheimer’s, had problems with similar dreams and this was eased somewhat with Memantine