Visiting home

Smokey12

Feb 14, 2022
My husband is in a care home but wants to visit his home for an afternoon then go back would this be okay?

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
Talk to the home about it. It would be nice to think you can facilitate this but please make sure you and any one supporting you in this are 100% sure you can manage his needs during this time. One of the things I would ask myself is whether it would unsettle him too much and is there a possibility that at the end of the visit he will not cooperate withgoing back.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
One of the things I would ask myself is whether it would unsettle him too much and is there a possibility that at the end of the visit he will not cooperate withgoing back.
Yes, I have heard of this happening.
With mum, though, I had the opposite - she no longer recognised her home of 30 years as her home and she became really distressed worrying that the owners would come back and find us and we would be in trouble, I had to take her straight back to her care home.
I worked out afterwards that when was talking about "going home" she meant her childhood home.

Smokey12

Feb 14, 2022
Talk to the home about it. It would be nice to think you can facilitate this but please make sure you and any one supporting you in this are 100% sure you can manage his needs during this time. One of the things I would ask myself is whether it would unsettle him too much and is there a possibility that at the end of the visit he will not cooperate withgoing back.
Thank you I know what you mean he might want to come everyday that’s the problem but it would be great if I could do it say twice a week

Smokey12

Feb 14, 2022
Yes, I have heard of this happening.
With mum, though, I had the opposite - she no longer recognised her home of 30 years as her home and she became really distressed worrying that the owners would come back and find us and we would be in trouble, I had to take her straight back to her care home.
I worked out afterwards that when was talking about "going home" she meant her childhood home.
It would be so much easier if he didn’t recognise it but most definitely knows his home